A Lost God's Grotto part 2

II.

The ornate door stood like an assistant waiting on them. It was not dangerous, for Madoka knew the feeling of dread that true predators gave outside. She has felt the cold unwelcome feeling of living outdoors in the winter and nothing about the door gave her that feeling. Its gold trim framed the edges of the door and its handles felt like they were custom-fit for her hands. Audrey inspected the other side of the door and found nothing but the lake.

The platform itself was reminiscent of the altars they had been to before, but modified to the taste of its god. Water dripped from the ceiling and Madoka could still see the raindrops frozen in place outside of the grotto. The spires were smoothed at the tips and small gold rings adorned their circumferences like belts. Of that golem in the Conqueror's belly and the large ringed gate flashing out of this world, Madoka put the grotto and its gateway third in the list of strangest things she's seen.

She gulped as she inspected the door once more. She felt guilty from the conversation they had. Madoka realized she was not being fully truthful herself to Audrey. She was the hypocrite who never spoke of things about the afterlife. Pelé, the strange bird she's ran into and probably a lot more things she has failed to reveal to the princess. Did it matter?

A hand squeezed hers and an expectant look closed in on her eyes. Right, Madoka pulled out of her thoughts. There was a truth lying beyond the door. She was not sure if she would like it but her hand twisted the handle. Her arm rattled as she did, taking her by surprise. It was shaking violently apart!

An intricate cyan pentagram pattern of light expanded outward from beneath the door. A magic attack? She was not prepared to fight against such attacks. The waters reflected the beautiful and dangerous pentagram attack but began to stir violently. Its range covered the entire lake!

"Madoka?" Audrey questioned her. How was she supposed to know this would happen? The waters in the grotto's lake began to churn rapidly into a whirlpool. Madoka's hand remained on the door's handle as water sprayed her. They were sinking and Madoka did not know how to swim. She groaned. Not because she would drown in waist high water but because she was soaking now.

"This is ALL your fault," Madoka cursed but she doubted Audrey could hear her over the violent whirlpool. She shoved her body into the door and it caved in with her. Her face ate soft grass. Her body followed.

She rolled over and sputtered out lake water feeling for Audrey at the same time. Again, nothing but the meadows brushed across her hands. Madoka could barely hold onto any of her senses from the overwhelming guilt that flooded her. Her arms felt like weathervanes in the wind as she was flung in the odd door's dizzying storm.

Yet here was quiet and peaceful. She noticed the door she tumbled through was gone. There was no longer the lichen and moss covered cavern. Here was different -- the sky was smudged blue speckled with stardust, the air was perfumed by sweet and pleasant flowers, and the wind singing its music in Madoka's chest. The breeze gently reordered the chaotic notes within her heart.

When her breathing evened out through her anxiety, she realized she was all alone on the other side of the door.

Did she let go of Audrey during all that commotion? As if the mere thought summoned her, the distant yelling of a familiar voice came from above her. A light body landed on her and blonde hair whipped her face. Madoka's chest felt constricted.

"Waah!" Audrey's muffled voice came from her chest. The girl was soaking wet but warm to the touch. More mumbling came from the princess but Madoka could not understand her.

"Audrey?" Madoka blew the strands of her hair off her face.

Blue eyes peered at her from the peaks of her chest. For a moment, things were serene. Madoka was content with their reunion in the middle of this strange and beautiful landscape. Audrey was warm and small. The maid found it difficult to keep herself from her soft curiosity. A flash of mischievousness suddenly lit up in her eyes and Madoka braced herself for trouble.