The Maid Meets Her Princess (M&P 1)

I.

Madoka was just 6 years old when she first entered the halls of the Kingdom's Grand Palace. As a child, she was expected to work as her parents belonged to the Kingdom. This was her duty set before her by the head maid who taught her. Madoka accepted this and took to her work with her fellow servants to keep the place as peaceful as possible.

As long as she kept her head low, beyond the eyes of greedy nobles and those who would take advantage of her, she was content with her life. As the Head Maid and her fellow maids would warn her of nobles, she too, would warn new servants born into this kingdom of them. King Fiara, the ruler of this land, made it clear after an incident involving a noble who murdered a maid that anyone who messed with them would have their heads placed on a platter. As such, for His Majesty's kindness, Madoka focused on her duties and kept to herself to repay him. Even if she never saw him herself.

A year later, it was one fateful morning when she was transferred to a Royal's Hallway. To servants like her, it was like a sacred place and it could cost them their lives if they were to blemish any part of it. Madoka was going to make sure she was thorough in her cleaning duties to impress the Head Maid and not get punished. She was cleaning the windows when she heard a muffled noise from the Royal's room. To her surprise, she could hear the scream from a young girl. A princess?

It was then when Madoka realized how small she was in this world. She didn't even know who she was serving. She was supposed to go in there, right? Still, that did not stop her heart from pounding at the scary possibility that this Royal could kill her at any point. She was tempted to flee in terror when she heard the voice of the princess. The princess seemed in a panic. Was it because of her?

"No, no, no!" the princess seemed to be pleading with someone, or something. Madoka heard rummaging around. "Me? Who am I? What is happening? No, no, no! It can't be!"

Madoka squished her ear to the door, and heard the princess tumbling over something. It was decided right then and there. She would make a choice that would alter her life forever. She held her breath, then knocked on the door.

"Excuse me, Your Highness," Madoka was trained to address nobles and Royalty alike, well versed in dealing with either. She was not prepared to open the door and see a girl no older than herself.

"Eep! Come in!" the princess panicked, and Madoka entered bowing. Keep your head low, Madoka thought furiously to herself. Don't upset the princess. The princess herself was already distraught, standing on a stool and inspecting herself in the mirror, with everything on the dresser knocked off onto the floor.

It must have been an eternity in that room, but Madoka did her duties and cleaned the room while the princess had barely moved at all and ignored her. She seemed to be fearful of everything, even panicking when Madoka picked up her things near her. Still, neither said a word. Was every Royal like this? Madoka could not help but wonder as she was about to exit.

"You," the princess said, freezing Madoka in her tracks. Madoka cursed herself, she should not have acknowledged the princess's existence even in her mind. She turned and curtsied.

"Yes, Your Highness?"

"Name?" the princess tripped over her words, like she couldn't believe that she understood the words coming out of her own mouth. The princess backed away from Madoka, as if the maid would attack her. She quivered as panic escaped her lips as she gave Madoka an odd request. "I need... What... Please, I need a name. Anything!"

The princess's trembling voice nearly constricted Madoka's throat in ice. What was this Royal planning to do with her? And why was the princess begging something so trivial to her, the lowest of lows, for her name? Still, a command was a command, Madoka thought.

"Madoka, Your Highness," she bowed her head. This seemed to satisfy the princess or at least calm her down.

"Thank you," the princess said, excusing Madoka. "Madoka, Madoka, Madoka..."

Princess Fiara was muttering Madoka's name, but a terrified Madoka got out of there swiftly. She would work the next few weeks in terror, though nothing came about the incident.