The Blissful Year Begins

Tale 1: The Maid and Her Princess
Prologue

I.

The carriage ride to the Northern Estate was beautiful. Madoka has never seen the outdoors before, yet was not afraid of what could happen out there. Still, she pressed her face to the carriage's window and looked at a flock of birds flying above. Just think of all the places to clean, she smiled to herself in anticipation.

The carriage went over a small stone bridge, with the full view of the Palace on its perch overlooking the swamps and the estuary. Tiny cottages dotted along the pure, seemingly endless green pastures and hillsides. Beyond that, walls and heavy fortifications awaited. Is this truly our kingdom? Madoka wondered.

"Be good to her, Madoka," the Head Maid told her.

"Yes, ma'am," Madoka said quietly. They were passing a field into a grove. The Northern Estate was getting closer into view.

Over the past year, Madoka began to look up to her as her mother she never had. She hardly thought of her real parents nowadays, no longer wondering if they are alive or where they could be in this big country. She no longer gets sad when she fails to remember them. She knew they gave her away or she was an orphan from the start. The Head Maid was strict, however she grew softer on Madoka for some reason over the years.

"Look now, we are here," the Head Maid said. Madoka saw the view of the towering Northern Estate, a mansion made for nobles. It was not close to the size of the Palace, but the opportunity to clean it top to bottom made Madoka excited. Furthermore, her friend was there, even if she was sick.

Madoka will fulfill the King's request to be there by her side until the day she dies.

"Now, Madoka." The Head Maid stopped her as the carriage stopped at the gate.

"Yes, ma'am?"

"Her Highness's mind is quite fragile," the Head Maid put her hand on Madoka's shoulder, as if she was sorry for her. "Do take care of her, even so. No matter what she does."

"I will do my best, ma'am," Madoka received a pat on the head and then she was let out before a large gate which led to an even larger manor.

With a deep breath, she picked up her small bag of clothing and greeted the guards.

"Ah," the first one recognized her. "The maid who the princess was asking for."

"Madoka," she told him with a bow.

"Madoka, eh?" the other guard on the other side said. "Open the gates! The princess, young lass, awaits you in the garden not too far from here. Just to the left under the gazebo, you can't miss it."

Madoka nodded, the loud gears of the gates churning like a beast's jaw startling her. The guards laughed.

"No need to be uptight, missy," the second guard laughed. "Them Royals ain't ever show their faces around these parts - eh, you'll find out soon enough."

"Okay, sir," she said and bowed. "I'll be taking my leave, then."

The guard gave her a grunt in response. Madoka's shoes felt uneasy as she traveled on the gravel path, but she followed the guard's direction and the view of the garden took her breath away. Flowers greeted her in splashes of violet, vermillions and yellows, covering her senses in the aroma. Madoka knew gods must rest in places like these. It was still morning, but the apricot sun was rising in the sky like a lantern.

Madoka gingerly hiked her maid's dress up enough to take the first steps up the ornate gazebo's wooden stairs, yet the princess was not there. Her princess was standing beyond at a bench, looking the other way. Madoka hoped her steps crunching on the gravel did not cause too much noise to disturb the peaceful atmosphere. A small breeze pushed the princess's long hair to the side, a whisk of yellow and purity.

"Excuse me," Madoka said quietly. "Your Highness."

"I've been waiting for you, Madoka," Princess Fiara turned with a smile at her maid. "Finally now, we stand face to face."

With those graceful words, the princess dove straight into Madoka with a tight embrace. Madoka was shocked, a servant in an intimate embrace with a Royal. Take care of her, no matter what she does. The Head Maid's words echoed in her head, but her heart pounded in her chest.

"I have missed you so much, my soulmate," Princess Fiara said sweetly. Madoka was still quite stiff as she pulled even tighter. "So much."

"Thanks for your kind words, Your Highness, I shall serve you the best I can, but erm," Madoka's voice tensed as the princess squeezed her harder. "Can you let go of me? I am finding it difficult to breathe."

"Oh," the princess absentmindedly said, releasing her from her embrace. "I'm sure the servants are dying to show you around the place. I, however, wanted you to be comfortable today. After all..."

She trailed off holding in a giggle as she tried to remember what she was going to say. Madoka did not remember the princess being this healthy before, looking at her body. It used to be so thin - perhaps an escape from the Palace is what she needed after all.

"Rest up, today, meet with your servant friends or whatever," she said, straightening out her dress and giving a serious look at Madoka. "For tomorrow marks our Blissful Year. Tomorrow is..."

"Tomorrow, your Highness?" Madoka did not like the ominous tone laced within her voice.

"Tomorrow is boot camp," she said with a wicked smile.