I Will Remember These Colors (Spring final)

IX.

"Congratulations, Madoka," Leopride clapped. He inspected the wreckage of stone formations on the ground. "However, you're doing it wrong."

He laughed at Madoka's frustrated expression. She held her sword perfectly, did her forms perfectly, and had her technique honed for most of the past months.

"What do you mean?" She asked him lightly. She still did not trust him. The Cherish-man's tail flicked in an amused manner. Madoka wondered why she could not read his thoughts, then dismissed the thought. It was because he had magic.

"I shall show you more of my homeland's style," he bowed. "Don't let the bruises be taken personal, no. Let the pain remind you of what you did wrong and seize the opportunity."

"No more stones?"

"No more stones," he confirmed, drawing his sword. "Now I am the stone."

Madoka found it difficult to track his movements, much like an unpredictable puzzle whose pieces fluttered in the wind. He was out of reach and agile, yet she could not keep up with his strength as well.

"Focus on your form, find me in the rhythm," Leopride showed her the forms again.

She left practice that night with several bruises on her head. Madoka felt like she made no progress in her training, yet she diligently went back to her cleaning duties with a smile on her face.

"So why do you do these exercises, princess?" Madoka asked her.

Princess Elise was out in the yard, practicing her own sword forms against her. Madoka observed them to be true to their purpose, simple and elegant. Madoka's forms, the Cherish Sword Style, were a lot more about movement. In fact, Madoka realized she was not very good at taking direct blocks at all.

Their swords still clacked against each other. Princess Elise smirked, her brows furrowed in concentration as she jumped back for enough time to plan her next move. Madoka could dodge most without needing to block. She heard the swishing sound of a missed blade as she sidestepped quickly to avoid it, then tapped her princess on the head.

"Winner, Madoka," Lord Zeron sighed, leaving the two alone.

"I do these exercises because," the princess huffed, practicing her movements. "The way forward will be paved in blood and if I stand in its way... I too will be a part of its blood if I don't move quickly."

Madoka knew of the princess's odd talk. The princess hung the sword on the rack nearby, while Madoka rested hers on her shoulder. The sun was setting its golden and orange beams across their faces.

"And as I learn more about magic, I don't suspect I'll get many chances to stand there and cast for free. I have to... I must be agile in battle."

Madoka shuddered. The thought of her princess in battle made her heart falter. Did she really see both of them in battle?

"What's wrong?" Madoka asked her. Elise looked at the setting sun with worry.

"This is the end of Spring, isn't it?"

"Sure is," Madoka said, but the two drifted off into silence. She took the princess's hand. "Let's get cleaned up, Princess. I'm sure the summer has much more training for you."

Elise's worry faded after some time and she smiled. Madoka got the feeling her smile was masking a pain beyond her knowledge, yet she led her into the mansion anyways.