Back to the Grind (Spring 6)

An Adventurous Year, Act 12
Spring of Eyes and Elation, part 2

VI.

The skeleton stood triumphantly before the girls. Madoka did not sense any killing intent from Ceghinort but this was not what she expected. Well, Madoka paused her thoughts. She did not know what to expect. Audrey was about to say something but the maid moved in front of her.

"So," Madoka drew her sword and kept her voice calm. She did not think a plain sword would do much to a supposed God but she spoke again. "Are you a friend or a foe?"

She pointed the sword at the creaking skeleton. It nervously snapped back to a salutation. Its movements were stiff as if something or someone was controlling it. Madoka kept her intent up but it did not seem to affect the God.

"Why would a lovable skeleton such as I be an enemy?" Ceghinort complained. "I'll have you know I am your superior."

It brought out a large crimson gemstone shaped like a droplet and something twinkled upon it. Madoka looked closer and saw a gleaming, jade tag. It was beautiful despite the bloody stone it was fused to. She sighed and sheathed her sword. The skeleton held the necklace high as if it was some kind of accomplishment but the two girls simply stared blankly at it. Or so she thought the both of them were unimpressed but Madoka looked back at Audrey. The girl's eyes were gleaming with wonder!

"Star Jade. Acquired from Star Fallen Chelise," Ceghinort clicked his fingers together. The skeleton's skull kept its gaze intently on Audrey's gleaming eyes before cackling. He dangled the tag before them. "I joke! You Narms are so funny! Your eyes shine with greed for the hunt, that's what I like! One day, this tag will be yours."

He cracked his neck while the two just eyed him suspiciously.

"Now. You two look like you have a lot of questions for me. Especially you, princess."

At the mention of her identity, Madoka lunged at the skeleton but Audrey stopped her with a surprising amount of strength. Madoka exchanged a look with her princess but tried to lunge again. This fiend was the reason they almost died in this cave to begin with!

"I'm sorry, uh, Mister Ceghinort," Audrey pulled Madoka back. She growled at Ceghinort. "I'm just having difficulty thinking of what to say to a living Halloween decoration. Down, Madoka, down! Bad kitty!"

"What? I am a God. And you are lively as ever, Madoka," Ceghinort clapped his bony hands together. Madoka calmed herself down. "Ask away. My time is limited in this thing, however. Despite my healthy appearance, I am not able to hold this spell for too long."

The skeleton emitted a chuckle but its jaw fell off. He awkwardly bent over and picked it up as the two watched him in silence. Audrey paused in thought so Madoka asked first.

"That door, was that a trial of yours?" Madoka demanded. "That was uncharitable of you to lead us to our near deaths, you know."

The maid was not sure what uncharitable meant but she was sure it made an impact on the skeleton.

"Yeah!" Audrey chirped behind her. Madoka glared at her and caused her to gulp back into silence. Madoka realized it was also her fault they ended up in this ridiculous ordeal to begin with! Between these two fools the maid did not know who to scold first.

"Easy, easy! I'll start from the beginning!" Ceghinort's bones cracked as he waved his hands defensively but then he placed a hand to his forehead. "I am the Almoghty God of Adventure! The Creator of the Guild itself. You copper sprouts would do well to listen to your elders. Hah! As for the door, I don't know what those are!"

Madoka groaned and she was sure Audrey's core flared up from behind her.

"Those doors are a fallen god's blight from centuries ago," Ceghinort continued. He seemed unafraid of Audrey's magic core. Perhaps it was because this skeleton was not his true form.