Ramifications of Power II (Spring 10)

An Adventurous Year, Act 14
Spring of Eyes and Elation, part 3

X.

Madoka woke to an unfamiliar feeling brushing between her toes. Carpet? The softness bristled against her step as she moved her foot. Was she dead?

Panic jerked her out of her head. She felt her ears and did not feel any blood, but as she withdrew her hand she realized she was wearing a familiar frilled sleeve. A maid's dress? She has not worn a maid uniform since she left the palace and yet, she was wearing one right here and now. She felt like she was dreaming, or perhaps she was waking from a dream. The moonlight poured through some grand windows, but something seemed familiar about the hallway she was in.

She tentatively raised her hand again and pinched her cheek. Madoka regretted it instantly as the pain stung her. In her confusion, she bumped into a tray that was near her. One thing at a time, she scolded herself for making a ruckus when it was so obviously late at night. She felt a swirling dizziness pound inside of her, but it was subsiding quickly.

There was another thing on her mind: The soft image of Princess Elise's lips within the sunny and empty ballroom. Madoka clasped a hand over her own lips. She felt heat flush against her cheeks as she looked back at such a fond moment. She realized in the memory, Elise's lips were telling her something.

"Come to my chambers tonight," she told Madoka. "I will tell you everything."

On my way, Your Highness, Madoka snapped out of it. If this was a dream, so be it. She remembered she was escaping from a battle, but the finer details were also fading quickly. She took the tray of tea and quickly made her way down the hallway. She stopped before the ornate doors of Elise's room, and knocked.

"Come in," that sweet voice called quickly from behind it.

"Excuse me, Your Highness," Madoka entered with her head bowed. It felt like she had not greeted her princess properly in such a long time and joy filled her. The doors opened before her and she found herself in a familiar scene. The princess was standing in front of the open window, looking up at the twin moons. Her face was heavenly in their light.

"Ah, there you are," Princess Elise looked at her. "Woman of my dreams."

It was difficult not to crack under the pressure from her gaze, especially with tears staining her cheeks. Madoka folded her arms.

"You'll catch a cold if you keep that window open," she scolded the princess. Elise looked at the window and silently closed it, much to her surprise.

Something was wrong.

Golden light sparkled in the air, like small specks or star dust, and eventually linked together like chains. Madoka kept her eyes at this strange Princess, as the magic links fell upon Elise's head like a caparison. She always hated horses, the thought almost distracted her.

"What's wrong?" Princess Elise spoke in Royal, with a suspicious and commanding tone woven within her order. "I have a lot to say to you, now sit, sit!"

"As you command, Your Highness," Madoka moved the cart over, but stopped. "But first, I have a question."

The Princess looked at her with a hint of impatience. Madoka knew in her heart that she was under some kind of spell, or in a dream. A dream that Elise did not possess or tell her about. She also realized that Elise was long gone and her name was Audrey now.

"Just what are you? How dare you wear my princess's face!" Madoka chided the being before her. "Answer me!"

Princess Elise looked hurt, but suddenly began to transform before the maid. The Knotting magic that netted itself around the imposter shattered as her face burst into a beast's beak. Madoka screamed and turned to flee through the doors. Behind her, she cringed as she heard more flesh rip apart as it transformed, but to her abject horror the door she was fleeing towards turned into a view of the heavens, full of stars and faraway worlds.