A Girl and Her Horse (Spring 5)

V.

"Nae waaaah!" Elise clutched Madoka's arm. "Why are these beasts a thing in this world? Madoka save me!"

She was terrified of horses, much to Madoka's surprise. The beast seemed to not mind the both of them on top of it. It was a huge horse, according to her, its head reaching over Lord Zeron's head. Madoka heard her muttering something about 25 hands. There was a small group of soldiers and Lord Zeron accompanying the two, yet Elise was still scared.

"Elise," Madoka barely got out before she gripped even tighter on her arm. "We've not even begun to trot."

It took her a half hour to get the princess on the horse's back and the trip's only begun. Today's the day to go into town.

"I'm surprised you are scared, Your Highness!" Lord Zeron chuckled. Madoka had a strange feeling over taking her when she noticed his horse. He was a massive beast large enough to carry a powerful man such as that, fully brimming with a stalwart pride and unbreakable bond. His ears remained perked up, attentive to his surroundings as he did not receive a signal from the heels of his rider to slow down - he just did. "Normally you are full of energy!"

"D-don't tease me like this," Elise complained. "I am a delicate maiden!"

A snort escaped from Madoka, but Elise's grip prevented her from jabbing her maid. Lord Zeron was as merciless as his full laughter.

"There's n-not enough sunlight for the trees," she tried to make excuses. "Let alone a trip like this."

Madoka was watching her own drive, but her horse was calm and patient despite the jumping fool attached to her. She felt the beast's massive neck and the mutual trust began to bloom between them. The horse was conveying its thoughts to her whenever she touched the reins.

Too hard.
Too slow.
More.
I trust you.
I will show you the way.
Gentle.

"Madoka?" Elise's voice pierced their communication. Surprisingly, the princess was calmer, wrapping her arms around Madoka.

"Hmm?"

"How did you make the horse do that?"

"Do what?"

The horse snorted, its ears observant to the changes and currents of the cool forest air. Leaves crunched and dirt clomped under the horse's hooves as she adjusted herself along the path with Lord Zeron. Madoka didn't know what she did, but it followed a bit faster when she kicked the stirrups lightly. She was grinning ear to ear when Elise's grip tightened.

"This is the worst roller coaster ride ever," she mumbles.

"You must have been riding your horse for a long time, Lord Zeron," Madoka commented. She was not used to bringing about a conversation as a slave, but Lord Zeron didn't seem to mind.

"Aye, he's carried me since I was in service," He proudly said. Madoka could guess it was true for he and his horse had nothing to hide. "And I raised him when he was just a foal. You seem to have a knack for riding, little lady. You treat Ciara well."

"I think this one trusts me," Madoka said, observing the beast's behavior. "Or perhaps there's nothing that worries me besides the Princess."

"You be quiet!" Elise snapped. "From now on, YOU get to be my chauffeur. I doubt this animal will let me ride it on my own. Madoka, my feet can't even reach the stirrup!"

Zeron was laughing, yet Madoka couldn't focus. There were many whispers in the forest they were in and none of them belonged to them. She gasped, a sudden break in her breath as Ciara's ears pointed forward and her tail rapidly swishing. A flutter of birds and screecher rodents all burst away from a spot in the pathway. Madoka could hear each one's thoughts in a cacophony of terror, though the general idea was quite clear.