Spring of Eyes and Elation

An Adventurous Year, Act 9
Spring of Eyes and Elation, part 1

I.

Sunlight invaded her eyes with its faint orange fingers.

Oddly enough, she knew she was awake but she had no fear of anyone of finding her and her princess. They were tucked in a secret place, a moss drenched expanse of tree roots away from the beaten path. A sojourn of green and dark brown sheltered them from a blinding blanket of white. She moved her stiff arm and sat it on her belly. She was not in a hurry to find out what horrors awaited her today so she did not bother waking up Audrey.

Audrey?

She cracked an eye open and caught a tuft of messy blonde hair over her lap like a rabbit's bushy tail. Madoka moved to tug it just to see how she would react but this moment was too gentle for her to shatter it without compunction. So she rested her hand on her friend's head.

"I can't believe that bassist died. She was really young," Audrey muttered as she stirred. "Wow, really? How depressing..."

"Really," Madoka answered softly. These daily moments were somewhat of a peaceful ritual. She recalled Audrey had several episodes of night terrors in the Estate but she has not since they escaped the palace. She prayed every day to the kind gods under rain and sunshine for their protection over Audrey. A subtle movement of her head brushed against Madoka's hand. "You are warm."

"I am warm?" Audrey asked. Her voice was groggy and deep, a rich texture of duality and attractiveness the maid only got to see in the morning. "That's so...! Not Fair...! Why am I warm when she is not? Who else could touch my heart with songs like that?"

"Audrey," Madoka decided she was having a sad dream. Audrey rolled over and looked up at her. A tear slid down her cheek. "Why are you crying?"

There were a million reasons why she would cry. It was like trying to pick a speck of dust illuminated by the sun rays through a window. Madoka would try in the very least.

"Huh?" Audrey felt her cheek. She wiped it off and tried to sit up but stopped. Madoka pat her head. "Sorry, I guess I was having a bad dream again."

"We slept in," Madoka sighed. "It's okay."

"Yeah, that's my bad," Audrey said as she got up. "We're not too far from a town. Here's to hoping they won't think much about us, right?"

"H-Hai," Madoka said, getting up herself and refusing help from Audrey. "Then let's get to it."

Madoka's eyes and ears were alert this time around as they walked. No signs of enemy movement, no changes in animal behavior and kind gods willing, no reason to wield her swords. She even took an extra one from Audrey's portal to keep from biting her nails from her nervousness. Her princess, on the other hand said nothing. Something was following them but Madoka did not feel like it was a threat.

I strike!
Attack!
Food!

A sudden thought came from her left. A stray beast of some kind, huh?

"Foolish," Madoka growled and with a lightning quick grip intercepted its pounce. The shape seemed as big as Audrey, but Madoka was bigger. Her hand grasped matted and moppy fur. She felt its throat gulp against her palm as it flailed and tried to get away. She lifted it and four feline eyes stared back at her. Audrey yelped in surprise.

"Jesus," Audrey shrieked. "What are you, a heat seeking missile? You some kind of personnel UAV?"

"Why do I get the feeling you're upset with me?" Madoka asked. The creature she held was common in forests, apparently, a feline with six legs. It was a fine and stealthy predator. All of them had scheming thoughts, but this one was the most desperate one. Now, it was reduced to a flailing pet, whimpering as its instincts told it was not going to make it out alive. She remembered what Audrey told her when she hissed. "Bad kitty!"