TWO

The blades of the chopper spun loudly before slowing down as it landed on the helipad of a skyscraper. The door was pulled open and Miran stepped out. He was clad in a black suit and black shades. Tony — his personal assistant — followed after him dressed in black as well.

He adjusted his suit jacket, looking around and taking in the view from up here. The city was magnificent. Tony came closer whispering to him, “He’s over there.”

Miran looked ahead before clearing his throat. The middle-aged Arab man coming towards him offered a small smile. Behind him, his escort followed.

"Mr Mayer, it's a pleasure to have you," The man said, stretching his hands to him. Miran stopped and looked at him, taking off his shades.

"Mr Khan," he smiled, a smile that seemed to have so many layers. "My father told me a lot about you.” He continued.

Mr Khan’s smile faltered but he managed to keep smiling before withdrawing his hand and folding them in front of him.

"This way," He said, bowing slightly.

Miran let a small smirk tug the corner of his lips before he put his sunglasses back on. He made for the door to the elevator.

After being escorted to the conference room, Miran made himself comfortable by sitting in the front row, where he could access everything without distraction.

Miran watched the people making a presentation. The lights had been turned off and the projector screen was the only source of light. Someone was speaking as the slides of the presentation changed. Mr Khan and his assistant seemed confused by the presentation. They sounded flustered, whispering among themselves and flipping through the documents that had been handed at the start.

Miran sighed and the room instantly became quiet.

"What's going on?" He asked, wondering why they had stopped.

"I'm sorry, Mr Mayer. But do you not like it?" Mr Khan asked.

"Where are the agents from Mexico? I need to speak to one," he said, placing his hands below his chin, while the other flipped a pen playfully.

"Um, they encountered some difficulties. And as a result, their flight was delayed, sir," he said.

Miran nodded and looked beside him. Tony had a blank expression.

"I want to buy a winery in Mexico, and you tell me the agents are not here today?" He questioned.

"Sir-" Mr Khan tried to speak, when Miran cut him short, replying.

"I left for UAE and came back here and you tell me, their flight got delayed? ain't they supposed to be here a day before I get to the US?" His voice grew louder, everyone remained silent and stiff.

The room was quiet and everyone had their heads down.

Angrily, Miran got up, throwing the pen at the projector screen. He stuffed his hands into his pocket and headed out of the room. Tony quickly followed behind, and the door shut.

"Mr Mayer!" Mr Khan followed, pleading.

Miran ignored the call and headed straight for the elevator. Mr Khan grabbed his shirt in desperation.

"Mr Mayer!" He caught his wrist. Miran stopped and Tony quickly pries his hands off him.

"Mr Khan, I believe this deal is over,” he says. Tony's eyes grew slightly wide at his words, knowing how this was important to Miran. He couldn't believe what he just heard.

"I'm sorry, please give me another chance," he said, "I would make things right."

Miran sighed, staring at him. His eyes said it all as he glanced at him apologetically.

Miran's phone rings and he checks the caller ID. It's Aisha— Eisa’s fiancee.

"Do it by Monday," he said before taking the call.

"Thank you! Thank you so much. You won't regret this." He gasped. Tony lets go of his hands and continued to the elevator where Miran walked into.

"Aisha?" He said into the phone.

"Oh, Miran..." She replied. "Sorry to bother you like this, Eisa didn't have time to, I just called to remind you about my wedding. In case you know who forgets."

"I'm sorry, I have been a little busy."

"You haven't informed Kim yet?" She asked.

Miran breathed calmly and pushed his other hand back into his pocket. He balled it into a fist. He could as well tell her the truth but decided to keep it to himself.

"Did something happen?" Aisha interrupted his thoughts, seeing how quiet he was on the phone. Miran side glanced at Tony.

"Nothin-"

"You didn't break up with her, did you?" She questioned.

Miran cleared his throat, remaining silent. "No way!" He heard her slam a door shut.

"Aisha..." Miran started.

"Don't worry, I won't tell Eisa," She assured. “But you had better fix this. I liked her and she would be perfect on my bridal train. Oh well, I guess there's nothing I can do."

"Thank you,” He replied.

"Alright, do you want me to send the invitation to your place in Dubai or California?"

"Dubai," he said without hesitating.

The elevator dinged open, and Miran got out, heading out of the building. It's been two months since he was in California, and yet again, he was here for business. As he stepped out of the building, a man placed an umbrella over him.

The weather had changed so quickly since it was fall. He continued into the car, and when the car door closed, he relaxed, exhaling loudly.

"I would ride alone," he said, exhausted.

"Yes, sir," the driver replied, yet again. He was going to his place in California, the place he had shared so much with Kimimela. He wondered if it would feel different now, with so much of it having her before.

He gazed speechlessly out the windows and watched day fade into nighttime. The street light slowly came on as they approached his place. The ride seemed like a long one. He took out his phone scrolled through his contact and stopped at her number. She was still saved as lovely. His lovely.

The night she left him, everything seemed to change, but this didn't stop him from continuing to love her. He didn't know if he'd ever stop loving her.

The driver signified that they had finally gotten there