Chapter 5

Your first day of tuitions with Ms Rosalyne was nearing its end as it was 2pm now.

"We discussed what syllabus we'll be covering in these classes. I want you to know that it will be difficult to study so much. We'll be starting the previous year topics first and at the same time you have to keep up with the syllabus of this year and score well in mid-terms and finals. It will be a lot of stress to study such a multitude of topics simultaneously, understand?"

"Yes ma'am, I do and I'm ready for it. It's the final year so I have to put in this effort for my future, I already faced drawbacks last year....B-But if it's too much for you to teach then it's alright, you know...."

You looked at her nervously and she smiled then patted your head, "If I was against it then I wouldn't have called you here today. I had already seen yesterday what kind of topics we'll have to cover and how so I knew the effort required. Once again, it is all part of my job."

"T-Thank you, ma'am. I promise I won't let you down...."

"....You don't have to think about impressing me, this is for your future so you should focus on not letting yourself down. Think about where you see yourself in the next 5 years and if the 'you' today can reach there and not disappoint yourself."

You looked at her wide-eyed then nodded with a smile and thanked her before getting up to leave. Saying one last goodbye to her from the entryway, she locked the door once you went out then made her way to the kitchen to make lunch. Her gaze fell upon the gift you brought and she walked over to it then unwrapped it to find a box of assorted chocolates making her mind wander back to the conversation earlier.

"It's for your family."

Her heart felt heavy then she looked at the ring on her left hand and another conversation came back to her.

"Y/n told me you are married."

"....I am but I use Ms."

She inhaled uneasily then touched the ring lightly and a tear rolled down her cheek, falling upon the box beneath her.

"How long will I keep up this farce? We never got married, this ring is just...."

She trailed off in her thoughts as more tears spilled down her eye. An unseen part of her life that very select few knew, would she ever unravel that pain....?

She tightened her hold on the ring in an attempt to take it off but she couldn't, some unimaginable force bound her the moment she felt it move slightly and removed her hand from it. She took a few deep breaths and wiped her tears then kept away the gift box in one of the shelves and proceeded to make lunch for herself. Her phone vibrated a few moments later, indicating a text message.

Y/n: I have reached home. Thank you for the lesson, ma'am.

You're welcome. Study well.

I will. Same time tomorrow?

Yes.

She paused to think for a moment then began typing again.

Thank you for the gift but don't bring anything else from now on.

I understand, ma'am. I hope you liked it :)

She smiled to herself then reacted to your message with a thumbs-up emoji then kept the phone down as her pan began sizzling. At your side, you too smiled seeing the emoji on your message then sat on your dining table to have lunch with your mother.

"How was the class? Do you think it will benefit you?" your mother asked.

"Yes, definitely. We made a lesson plan today according to my needs."