Chapter 35

You entered the so-called scary house together with Ms Rosalyne, the two of you were handed a blank sheet of paper and 2 pens before entering with unclear instructions on their purpose. But you soon found out what their purpose was.

"This....doesn't seem to be an ordinary scary house." you whispered to Ms Rosalyne as you walked inside a dimly lit corridor illuminated by small lamps on either side, barely visible enough to walk.

"Mhm, it's surprisingly quite elaborate." Ms Rosalyne whispered back.

You continued looking around as you walked and felt eerily uncomfortable, you reached the end of the corridor and stood in front of a door with an electronic sign, 'Welcome, Investigators'. You glanced at each other then nodded and Ms Rosalyne proceeded to open the door but it was locked, she twisted the knob more and the door didn't budge at all when suddenly more lights were switched on and you saw more similar looking doors all around you along with other people who entered behind you. There were a total of 10 people in the hallway and everyone was confused and nervous, unable to understand what this attraction was.

You heard a beep sound and looked at the previous door again which now read, 'Solve the riddles to proceed further otherwise be sent to hell'

Your eyes widened and you looked at Ms Rosalyne who was also quite surprised but serious reading the sign, the other doors seemingly showed the same message as other people let out gasps and shouts of horror. Another light was switched on and a projector was now placed in the centre of the hallway and everyone gathered around it then it soon displayed the mentioned riddle.

'What breaks yet never falls, and what falls yet never breaks? You have 1 minute to solve before elimination. If nobody replies in 1 minute then all will be eliminated.'

You racked your brain and thought of various things but nothing seemed to fit, you looked at Ms Rosalyne who was also clearly deep in thought but didn't say anything. The time was ticking and you became nervous by the minute when you suddenly heard 3 people shout out their answers but all were wrong. You looked in their direction and the floor below them was opened and they all fell down while screaming for help, you looked at the scene in horror and couldn't believe what was happening.

"I have got it." Ms Rosalyne suddenly whispered then held your hand and spoke up, "Day and night."

The timer stopped and the message changed to 'Correct. You got lucky this time.'

You looked at Ms Rosalyne in delight who simply grinned then you walked towards the opened door to the next section of the game.

"What is this scary house?! Ma'am, have you come here before?"

"No, it's the first time this attraction is here. And I don't think it's a scary house at all, I suppose we have to find our way out by solving all these riddles that come up."

"What do you think happened to those eliminated people?"

"Oh, I'm sure there was a cushion underneath where they fell. They'll likely be sent to the beginning again to retry."

"That makes sense...."

You walked in the next corridor which was much more darkened than the previous one, you weren't even sure which direction you were headed and simply kept walking. You stopped for a moment and suddenly felt something around your ankle and looked down to see someone's arm clenching it, making you scream in terror.

"What the hell?!" you jumped back and Ms Rosalyne held you then you looked down together to see it was just a dummy's hand that grabbed your ankle, you let out a sigh of relief but were still terrified that things like this could also happen here. You walked a few more steps until stopped in front of another door that read, 'The floor is lava'. Ms Rosalyne's eye squinted and she suddenly became stiff as you felt her hold your hand tighter.