Chapter 6

Your quickly looked at your phone to see a mail had indeed come just five minutes ago containing the result of your last semester. You scrolled through the mail with trembling fingers and finally saw your percentage- 68%. Your eyes widened in shock then another mail came soon after entailing the details of scholarship for this year. The policy remained same which was 75% and above are eligible for scholarships, this meant your worst fear came true....

You indeed lost the scholarship for this year. Your heartbeat fastened and you nervously looked at your mother who was clenching her phone tightly then slammed her hand on the table, making you shudder out of fear. You slowly approached your mother to calm her down and talk to her by putting your hand on her shoulder but she swiftly slapped it away.

"Get out!" your mother shouted with anger induced eyes.

"M-Mom I-!"

"I will not hear anything!"

"But mom-"

"I said I will not hear anything!" She raised her hand up in a slapping position and you instinctively assumed a defensive position with your hands, looking away and trembling with fear. She then stopped and retracted her hand then leaned on the table while clenching her head in frustration.

"Another loan....I can't even pay the house and car loans yet and now your fees....Where am I supposed to get the money from?! I'm the only one doing the most shifts at the hospital just to get that additional mora! I'm the first one on emergency calls during weekend! I even have to mentor students in residency when I'm not looking at a patient! All our income comes from me so that you don't have to work and can focus on your studies! All I ask of you is to maintain the scholarship so that at least your fees is taken care of and you can't even do that!"

She cried out with bloodshot eyes and all you could do was look down, unable to speak as you were plenty overwhelmed yourself.

"It's all his fault....Your father....He gave you the dreams of studying at that prestigious institute when we knew it's out of our league and now, he isn't even here to pay for it! He's rotting in that jailcell and now a rehab centre situated in the farthest place in the country! What more can I do?! How much can I do?! Last year's incident increased all our expenses by three times and I'm barely making ends meet here!"

She paused as her voice betrayed her now and exhaustion from work started taking over. Tears filled your eyes and you still tried to walk up to her but she stopped you by putting her hand up front, "Get.....out."

You inhaled deeply then picked up your bag and rushed out of the house, muttering a "I'm sorry" to your mother who paid no heed to you. You sat in your car and tears soon spilled from your eyes uncontrollably as you held on to the steering wheel, mind muddled with anxiety and fear. It was rare of your mother to get angry to this extent and she'd always apologise soon after but currently, she was not in the mind for it at all. You were enough taken aback seeing the result yourself that your mother's breakdown had you trembling.

Your phone vibrated a few minutes later and you picked it up to see a message from Ms Rosalyne.

Ms Rosalyne: Are you coming today? It's already 11: 15.

Your fingers quivered as you tried to think of what to say, you weren't in the mood to go at all but at the same time had nowhere else to go. You thought you'd just spend a few hours there and hope for your mother to calm down by then

Yes, ma'am. On the way, there is traffic.

Drive safely.

A small smile formed on your face and you wiped away your tears then finally drove to Ms Rosalyne's house, reaching at 11:30.