Chapter 50

Ms Rosalyne didn't expect to dig up her buried past in front of you, but somehow it made her feel lighter telling you about it. Though, she didn't expect you to react so empathetically and say what you said. Her heart skipped a beat at your words and loving expression, it reminded her of when he said similar words to her but the feelings in her right now were different. The true fear she had all this time was losing another loved one, she thought it was better for her to remain alone than face the pain again and again.  

"Uh ma'am, I was wondering about something.... Is it okay to ask?" 

"Of course, feel free to."

"Well, you said this incident happened 5 years ago then that means....you were quite young...."

You trailed off and Ms Rosalyne seemingly understood what you were implying.

"Mhm, you remember I told you Rostam and I started dating in high school? It was after my mother's death that we got together and he...helped me recover from the grief a lot. He had always planned to join the military so I knew he would leave once we graduate but he had promised to keep in touch and come back for me. So, during that time I did my further studies and joined as a teacher here. Then he finally came back and proposed in the same year...."

"....And then this happened." you continued, making her nod with a melancholic smile.

You nodded in return and looked down, feeling heavy-hearted hearing about her traumatic past.

"Also, I'm not sure of it but I thought about it once. Are you....scared of fire? Not all kinds of fire, but like the spontaneous and uncontrollable types? The kind that are used in flamethrowers and props for jumpscares in amusement parks?"

Ms Rosalyne pondered over what you meant as you seemed to be referring to something specific then she finally recalled it, "Ah, do you mean that day in the carnival? When the door lit up in flames?"

You nodded and she continued, "Well, you aren't wrong. I'm certainly not scared of fire in general, but I fear it mainly when it's out of nowhere and at my face. Like the moment in the carnival, I felt as if my face would burn again...."

She trailed off and you couldn't help but gaze at the right side of her face that was covered by the patch, you knew the kind of injury she had beneath it and now you knew the story behind it as well. Now you hated it even more when people made fun of her face and beauty due to the patch, they truly knew nothing about her. 

Ms Rosalyne observed your silence then smiled and came closer to embrace you, "Thank you for listening, and thank you for saying what you said earlier. It really means a lot, even now."

"N-No, it's okay, ma'am...."

She released the hug then suddenly your phone rang and you saw it was your mother calling.

"Hello, mom?"

"Ah, Y/n, you are awake! How's everything now? Is Ms Rosalyne fine?"

"Yes, she is. We just had breakfast."

"Oh, that's a relief. Do you mind if I talk to her once?"

"Yeah, I'll just give her the phone."

You put the phone down and covered the speaker while looking at Ms Rosalyne, "I had called my mom yesterday night to ask what to do, she wants to talk to you once, ma'am."

"Oh, I'm so sorry you had to do this. Of course, I'll talk to her."

You smiled and handed her the phone then she began talking with your mother, pacing around the house as she talked. In the meantime, Ms Rosalyne's phone also rang and you saw it was Ms Lisa calling. You picked up her phone and showed her the caller and she gestured you to talk to her so you answered the call and Ms Lisa's cheerful voice immediately beamed through.