Chapter 24

All of us grabbed some shoes and hopped in the car, pajamas still on. Before we left, I slid a note under Simon's room's door saying what's going on and we'll be back soon.

***

It was a three hour trip but I didn't care. All I cared about is if Max was okay.

When we got to Max's house, I was the first to step out of the car and bang on Max's door. I was nervous and panicking so its not like me to rudely interrupt someone's privacy.

After ten minutes, I went the secret way. I had to! I had no other choice.

Instead of the front door, I went through the back window. I climbed the ladder and slightly opened the window to Max's room. I was in.

There was pillows planted on his bed to make it look like Max was sleeping. His room was perfectly fine; then there was a note under the door with fancy handwriting.

The note read:

"Samantha's house, 3:00 p.m. Don't be late ! Xoxo ~Your boo"

I stood there, still scanning the note. Then it hit me.

I ran back to the car, and showed the note to my parents. Before I could even slip on my seatbelt, dad hit the accelerator.

Good thing there was an address in the back.

***

We came to a stop at a small orange house. It looked pretty spooky in the dark.

The door was wide open so I just went inside. All the lights were dark and furniture was nearly inside out. The house gave me chills.

I walked in tippy toes so I wouldn't make any noise.

All the doors were closed except for one, Samantha's room.

I creeped inside and saw no one. I remembered Max's voicemail; something about a closet.

I tippy toed my way to the her room. The door felt so far away in the distance. I began to run and run down the steep hallway. The door got farther and farther and I ran faster and faster until I finally made it. Im in.