Chapter 42

*MANY YEARS LATER*

"Oh my gosh! My little Brynn is all grown up!", aunt Marisa broke into tears. So dramatic.

"Marisa, don't cry!", I commanded. "You're gonna make me cry too!"

Marisa let out an "aw" and hugged me tightly, arms around neck. I coughed, letting her know that she was choking me.

"Im sorry. I just can't believe you're finally graduating College University! Too bad your mother isn't here to see this."

My mother. She had sent me to California to live with my aunt, Marisa. She said it was good for meeting new opportunities. Its been about seven to eight years since I've been living in California with Marisa and, thanks to her, I know all the ropes. For some reason, I don't think mom sent me here for that reason.

While I was here, I met many celebrities and close friends. Then, I met my long lost cousin. Her name's Yamilet and we met when we were just in diapers. When her family moved away, I never got to see her again. Turns out, she's pretty cool and gets in touch with just about everything around California. I pretty creepy.

"Graduates at last!", Yamilet throws her "graduation" hat up in the air. The rest of the graduates followed her lead.

***

"WHAT!? What do you mean you can't come?!", she had a questioned look on her face.

"I'm sorry, Yami. You know it's been, like, seven years since I left Florida. I have to go back and see how things are now that I don't have any business with Cali anymore."

She gave me a straight face. "Bro, you're crazy.", then Yamilet's tone changed. "It's just one night! You can go back to Florida whenever you want! But seeing your long lost cousin and not going to her 'We're finally graduates!' party? That's SICK."

I gave her a slight shove. "Don't worry. You can party without me. You've been doing it for fourteen years, haven't you?"

Yami let out a pouty guilty face. I just laughed.

***

"Mom?", I called out. Marisa had given me an address that must me my own from before. I needed to ask mom some really serious questions.

A small, petite woman slightly opened the door. She had a sad expression on her face but then it changed. "Brynn?"

"Mom?", I feel the corners of my mouth curve themselves into a smile, and mom's did the same. We were once again reunited.

***

As we ate some lunch had talked a bit, I decided to ask her what really came to my mind. "Um, mom?"

"Yes?"

"Aunt Marisa told me you sent me to California to live with her for new opportunities. I think you sent me for a different reason. Is it?"

Mom's facial expression changed in a flash. Was she hiding something?