Chapter 25

Samantha's room was pitch black. The whole place was upside down. Bed sheets were spread everywhere, pillows were ripped apart on the floor, a lamp's light bulb was broken, and broken mirror glass was near the entrance door.

No one was in the room, nor the house. I didn't have my phone on me so I couldn't call the police. For a second there, I thought I had saw Samantha's haunting face pierce into my soul.

I searched the room for any evidence of Max. For some reason, I saw one of Max's shirt's on the floor. Weird...

I had found the closet. I slowly opened it. I scream and back away nearly falling on my rear.

I found Max alive alright, but was bleeding all over.

***

I dragged Max back to the car. I couldn't see him well, and I decided not to. Max was almost unconscious.

I helped Max put on his seatbelt and wiped some blood off his cuts with a wet cloth and alcohol. Meanwhile, dad accelerated to the hospital.

***

I couldn't bare seeing my best friend this way. Max was sent to the emergency room where the doctors took care of him.

I told one of the receptionist all about Samantha's house. She instantly picked up the phone and called investigators and detectives to go and check it out.

"Don't worry dear. The investigators are on their way.", she said with a warm smile. "If you need anything else, just let me know."

***

I looked for Max in one of the rooms. It was very cold in the hospital, but luckily, the doctors were kind enough to lend me a jacket.

It took me a while but I had finally found it. Max was in room 208B. I walked in and saw a nurse giving him some pills, guessing he was awake.

"I'll leave you two alone.", it was the same nurse that had attended me last time. She nodded her head and walked out the door with some trays with empty bottles of medicine. Once she walked out, I sat next to Max.

"Hey...", I could hardly speak. I had finally seen his face. He had a bandage wrapped around his forehead, a little scar on his upper lip, another bandage wrapped around his left arm and right leg, a not-that-bad black eye, and a huge scar across his chest. He looked like he just came from a fight and lost.

"Max, what happened to you?", tears filled my eyes and streamed through my cheeks.

How could I have let this happen?