Chapter 26

He locks his fingers into mine.

"Brynn, im so sorry...", Max's voice sounded raspy. I didn't understand why he was apologizing; until he looked down at our hands, still locked.

I got up from the hospital bed, raged. "Why didn't you just listen to me? I told you she had some kind of 'plot' going on. How can you not trust me? After all the bad thing she's done to us since elementary and now all of a sudden you LOVE her? Maxwell, she could've KILLED you! How could you...?", my voice trailed off.

There was me, panting in place like if I had just ran a marathon. Then there was Max, widening his eyes in shock and guilt. Rage filled me from head to toe.

"You actually feel that way? That I never trust you? Brynn, You can't keep squeezing yourself into my life all the time."

I felt my heart skip a beat. Squeezing myself into his life...? I sat back down. Rage went down and guilt took place.

He took a deep breath and continued. " Look Brynn, I know you're my best friend, but I can live my life on my own. Do you ever see me getting in between you and Simon?"

My face felt burning hot. "No... but--"

"Then?", he interrupted.

"Sorry... I just didn't notice.", I felt super embarrassed. My face flushed red.

Max sat up straight and placed his hand on my cheek. He wipes away a tear with his thumb.

"You don't notice a lot of things.", he gave me a bright smile. His green braces shined with the roof lamp's light. He leans closer towards me.

"I love you, and I always have." My eyes widened at his words.

I feel his lips press themselves against mine.