Chapter 45

I finally decided to go back to Simon's house. I didn't want to leave him worried. Once I got to my destination, I see a ton of police cars parked in front of his house. I jogged over to see a crowd of people surrounding the police cars and lots of flash photography. As I peeked through the crowd, I felt an arm break through and pull me over.

The flash bothered my eyes, making it hard to see clearly. I was being taken to some place. Once the flash had gotten out of the way, I saw Simon talking to some cops and grasping my hand. "Um, what's going on?", I finally responded. Simon swiftly turned his head to me. His face was sweaty and his hand was starting to sweat. I slid my palm away and stuffed it in my jacket pocket.

"Your mom went kind of crazy and left the house. After that, I got a call from some anonymous caller saying that- um..", Simon paused. I raised a brow and gave him a dirty look. He took a long look at one of the cops and nodded. That's when the cop stepped forward.

"They got your father."

My heart skipped a beat. I fell back but Simon caught me before I hit the floor. "It's already my first day back in Florida and I didn't even get a chance to talk to my father. Why does everything happen to ME!?", I whined. I turned around and sobbed on Simon's shoulder. I felt his hands rub my back.

"It's alright my Ms.Lee. We'll find that caller before things get out of hand. For now, just stay calm.", the cop spoke some code name into his walkie-talkie and walked away.

"Everything will be okay. I promise.", Simon separated my weak body from his. I gave him a deep stare. Something inside of me wasn't sure about him. I ignored it and let my hands slide away from his shoulders. "C'mon, I'll help you get your mind off of things.", Simon led me back up to his room.

I plopped down on his bed and tried to wipe some tears away from my wet cheeks. Simon locked the door and laid down next to me. I laid my head on his shoulder like a pillow.

"What of they did something to him? What have I done to deserve this?", I couldn't keep my voice steady. "They're not going to.", Simon pressed his lips against my forehead. "And what if they do?", I sat up straight and looked down at him. Simon lifted himself up with his elbows, still lying down. "Then, I guess we'll have to wait and find out.", he shrugged.

"But I CAN'T just sit here and wait!"

"What else can you do then? Got a better idea? I've never even SEEN my real father, so you should be grateful, Brynn."

I stared down at my knees, feeling guilt. Simon pushed my body back down next to him. Next thing I know, his face is over mine.

"Let's just forget the world for now and let go."

What did he mean by that?