Episode 7: The Doubt in Pewter City

Red, Blue, and Leaf have managed to escape from the swarm of Beedrill that chased them earlier and they continue their way towards Pewter City.

"My gosh, I'm glad we lost them", said Blue with relief.

"I didn't think we'd be able to lose those Beedrill", said Leaf.

"Me too", said Red.

Red turns to see a Pidgey nearby.

"Go Pikachu", said Red.

Stopping, Red withdraws Pikachu.

"Pikachu, Thundershock that Pidgey", said Red.

Pidgey sees Pikachu and flies at it and knocks it off it's feet. Then Pikachu gets up and sends a Thundershock at Pidgey, causing it to weaken and Red then throws a Pokeball at it and catches it.

"Good job, Pikachu", said Red.

Pikachu leaps in Red's arms, joyfully.

"Wow you're getting better at catching Pokémon", said Blue.

With all the Pokemon found in Viridian Forest, the three trainers discover and catch Caterpie, Weedle, Rattata, Bellsprout, and Oddish. Also, Blue and Leaf manage to catch a Pikachu themselves but chooses not to use it.

"Wow, what a start on the Pokedex", Red said.

Blue and Leaf agreed.

"We're not there yet, boys," said Leaf. "We have a long way to go".

Blue pause and he realizes something.

"Let's not get too focused on the Pokedex," Blue said. "We need to focus on being better Pokemon trainers and make sure we are raising our Pokemon".

Blue is pointing his finger to a sign in the forest in front of them and it read:

Pewter City straight ahead

"Wow, we're close to Pewter City," said Blue.

"Let's hurry on ahead".

The three friends start running ahead, and in ten minutes, they arrive in Pewter City. They look around and notice a unique building that stuck out better than the Pokemon Center.
They walk to it.

"It's a gym", said Red, as the three look at it. "Rainbow Dustman did say if you want to learn more about Pokemon battle, the best solution is to go to a gym".

"Ha!", what are we waiting for?" said Blue. "Let's go!".

"That's what you think", said a voice.

Red, Blue, and Leaf look behind them.

There is a man. He has brown hair and his eyes look completely closed. He is wearing a long-sleeved orange shirt with black lining over a black v-neck shirt and green pants and light brown shoes. The man crosses his arms.

"As much as I like your enthusiasm, but taking the Pokemon Gym challenge is much harder than you think", the man adds. "How long have you been with your Pokemon?

"About a week, I think", Red replies.

The boy then looks disappointed and shakes his head.

"You're not ready," he said. "Before you go to the gym, I suggest you level up your Pokémon up more and do some studying on battle and then go to the gym. You can do that by battling other trainers and wild Pokémon".

The boy turns and walks away.

"Who is that boy?", said Blue, angrily and fists clenched

"I don't know," said Leaf. "But judging by what he said, he seems to talk sense. What do you think, Red? Red?"

But Red is not paying attention. He went to read signs on the gym door and came back to Blue and Leaf.

"Saddle up boys", Red hollered. "We have a lot of work to do. The gym leader's name is Brock and he specializes in rock type Pokémon".

Blue and Leaf smiled.

"Let's go back to the Viridian Forest and battle trainers and wild Pokémon there", said Blue eagerly.

"And we'll camp there and never leave until our Pokémon are strong enough to take on Brock", Leaf squealed.

And that is what the three friends did. They went back to Viridian Forest and camped there. They stayed several days to battle passing by trainers and wild pokemon. Each day, their Pokémon were gradually getting stronger. Red's, Blue, and Leaf's Caterpie and Weedle evolved into Metapod and Kakuna, and then into Butterfree and Beedrill.

"Holy cow!", said Red. "I can't believe our Pokemon are evolving".

"That is a sure sign that our Pokemon are getting stronger", said Leaf, reading her book, Everything You Need to Know About Pokemon. Leaf flips through the pages and comes across a section about Pokemon types.

"Red, what type of Pokemon are we going against in Pewter City again?", asked Leaf.

"Rock type", Red answered.

Leaf turned a page and read aloud.

"It says here that rock types have a high defense", said Leaf as she reads. "Rock types also can beat fire types, ice types, flying types, and bug types. Rock types attacks are not effective against fighting types, ground types, and steel types. When going against rock type Pokemon: normal types, fire types, poison types, and flying types and their attacks are not very effective. However, water types, grass types, fighting types, ground types, and steel types can beat rock types".

"Okay, let's look at our Pokemon we have," said Red. "Planning a set of Pokemon will help".

So Red pulled out his PokeDex and pressed a button to open his three user files. These user files were used to see who had what Pokemon.

"Okay! Judging by the PokeDex here, we all have the same Pokemon except our starters", said Red.

Blue breaks in.

"I need to have Squirtle  because it's a water type and knows Bubble", said Blue. Plus, I should include Bellsprout and Oddish and other Pokemon on hand, like Rattata, Pidgey, and Beedrill".

"Bulbasaur is definitely on because it's a grass type and knows Vine Whip," said Leaf. "In addition, I can have Oddish and Bellsprout on hand. Then I can take Rattata, Pidgey, and Bufferfree".

Red then thinks for a moment. He picks up a Pokeball and stares at it. Charmander is a fire type and would lose against a rock type. Nevertheless, Red decided to still keep Charmander on hand anyway.

Blue and Leaf stare at him.

"I understand you like Charmander, Red, "said Leaf. "But Charmander would lose in this match".

"He'll be one of my back up Pokemon'', said Red, putting his Pokeball on his belt. "I will have Bellsprout and Oddish first. Bufferfree will be a good add because it knows Confusion, which is a Psychic type move. Then I will have Rattata and Pidgey as backup."

Red puts away his PokeDex and continues to battle wild Pokemon and then with Blue and Leaf.