Episode 71: The Attack on Viridian City

Ralph, Lara Laramie, the High Executive, and several Rocket Grunts appear in Viridian City. When they appear, the city is not what it looks like anymore. They are idols everywhere and they can hear dozens of screaming in the distance. As they are walking, Meowth is sitting on Ralph's backpack.

"So let me get this straight Ralph?", said Lara. "I read you were you were once a member of Team Rocket and you did very bad things. Did I read correctly?".

Ralph looks at her and looks at her with shame and guilt on his face. Meowth proceeds to comfort him.

"It's okay Ralphie, you can tell her", said Meowth encouragely. "She's one of the good guys. You're one of the good guys now".

"Yes Lara...I am not proud of it either", he told her. "I was a naive fool when I started out as a Pokemon Trainer. My aunt and uncle registered me as a Pokemon and I then met with Professor Oak and he gave me Meowth as my first Pokemon".

Meowth lays back on Ralph's backpack and nods.

"Meowth, that's right", said Meowth proudly.

"I took the offer to join Team Rocket when I met a Rocket Grunt", Ralph continues. "The Rocket Grunt showed me a written contract, what their benefits were joining and they were offering. I have to say it was very convincing and I fell for it. Unfortunately I didn't know what I was getting into. After joining Team Rocket, I did a lot of very stupid things I should never have done. According to my superiors, I was one of the best one and grew in the ranks. I lied, cheat, steal, hurt people, murder, and it didn't stop there. I was always told by superiors in Team Rocket that people like you, Red, Blue, Leaf, Rainbow Dustman, Professor Oak, and everyone like them are the bad guys, we were always misunderstood, one one didn't understand what we trying to accomplish, and we were trying fix the problems by recreating a new perfect order and everyone we hurt would hail us as heroes and your grandfather Rainbow Dustman would be arrested and history would seen as the enemy of all Pokemon. I believed it all. How foolish of me".

Lara is shocked upon hearing this. She immediately becomes angry.

"I should beat you up for this", she growled. "But first I want to know why left them?".

Ralph points to Meowth. Meowth stands up on Ralph's shoulder and looks at Lara.

"I was kidnapped by Team Rocket scientists shortly after he was recruited and I disappeared from Ralphie for a whole year", said Meowth. "They did horrible experiments on me and that's where I got the ability to talk like a human. You can thank Red, Blue, and Leaf for rescuing me. When I came back to my Ralphie, I told him what happened, what they did to me, and all the horrible things Team Rocket was doing and planning to do in the future. My Ralphie then got cold feet and became remorseful of what he was doing".

Ralph nods.

"Leaving Team Rocket wasn't going to be easy", Ralph told Lara. "After a whole year of being a Rocket Grunt, l learned it is lifetime of service or death and Team Rocket will kill off anyone who deflects or worse".

"Then how...did you escape them?", asked Lara.

Ralph lets out a breath.

"I turned myself in", said Ralph. "Defection from them would have been...impossible to get out alive. In my last raid, I set off the alarm and called the cops. The cops came and stopped my group of Rocket Grunts and foiled their plan. I on the other hand willingly turned myself in to the police and they were shocked it is a Rocket Grunt who called them. The cops interviewed me and I gave them everything I knew. There was lot a shock and confusion by the public about me for betraying Team Rocket that day. So they put me on trial...immediately. The trial was quick because my defense didn't much to say, the prosecutor tried to slam me with accusing questions and I just sat there and told the truth and I took responsibility for my unforgivable actions. The prosecutor and my turn defense turned to the jury. But the jury didn't have anything to say so the final decision was to be made by the judge. The judge however decided the drop all charges against me and he granted me a second chance...just like that. Before I could leave, the judge did give me with a serious warning if I mess up again, he's giving me the death penalty or if not, a life sentence. I don't know why judge gave a second chance. Did life decide to give me a second chance to make this right? That's my guess. I didn't ask for it. No one in my family in court asked for it. I was expecting to go to jail or get the death penalty but I got neither. Sometimes I look back and wonder if perhaps the judge saw something in me and decided to let me off the hook this one time. Who knows and I never asked why. Ever since, I went on a path to redeem myself and to right my many sins I have commited".