Episode 22: Surge

Red, Blue, and Leaf walk to Vermilion City Gym

Before they walk to the gym, the same older boy who told them to complete a challenge, comes out.

The boy studies them and has a warm smile on his face.

"Don't tell me," he tells them upon seeing them. "I know all about it".

The man pulls out a newspaper and shows it to them.

"Does that count?" asked Red.

The boy nods approvingly at them.

"Way better done than expected", said the boy. "Next challenge, and this one is easier. I am going to lock this door. You all find all three switches, the door will automatically open. The switches are hidden on each side of the gym building. You can split up if you like. Good luck".

Red, Blue, and Leaf split up. Blue goes to the right of the gym, Leaf goes to the left of the gym, and Red goes behind the gym. Red search everywhere on the wall and no switch. Then he looks on the bottom of the gym and searches there. Carefully searching, he finally sees a lightning bolt switch and he flips it. Red runs back and reunites with Blue and Leaf.

"Good job and the door is now open", said the boy, shaking each of their hands. "I want to inform you three that Surge does work in the military on the side. So you need to shout yes sir or no sir when he talks to you".

Red, Blue, and Leaf walk in and come across a stadium.

"Well, we'll, well, what do we have here?", said a deep booming voice. "Three new cadets to train, I see".

Red, Blue, and Leaf look in front of him and see a tall muscular man with blonde spiky hair. He has light skin and his entire build and body is muscular. The man is wearing a sleeveless green shirt, camouflage pants, black boots, and dog tags around his neck. He also has black sunglasses hanging on the top of his head.
The man takes off his sunglasses, looks at them, and he smiles approvingly.

"Greetings Cadets, I am Lieutenant Surge, and I will be your commanding officer today in this division", said the man.

"Yes sir", shout Red, Blue, and Leaf.

"Louder", Surge orders.

"YES SIR", shout Red, Blue, and Leaf loudly.

Surge smiles at them.

"Good, very good, now state your business", said Surge.

"I am Red, this is Blue and Leaf", Red introduces himself and his friends. "We are here to challenge you to a Pokémon battle".

The man smiles broadly at them as he picks up a newspaper.

"Well, I see you three sure made big hit news over at the docs", said Surge.

Although Blue and Leaf are happy to hear this, Red however remembers how he almost lost his Pikachu and begins to feel sad. Surge notices this and drops his joyful face to a face of concern.