Part 9

Achchu was all set to go to work and was waiting for his lunch bag and chandanam. Sivu hesitantly walked up to him. She kept the lunch bag on the floor and started twirling the end of her pallu. She slowly said, "Naan onnu keppen kochukka maatale?" He was fixing his watch but immediately responded with, "sollu maa". She smiled and looked up at him, "namma Calcutta ku vandhu rendu maasam aayachu. Oru 2nd Saturday vum poiduthu. Indha Saturday leave pottu enna suthi kaamikka kooteendu porela?" He looked up and said, "sorry maa. Office ku leave ellam poda mudiyadhu. Ennoda velaiya vera yaaru kittayum kudukka mudiyadhu maa. Adutha 2nd Saturday polaam." She pouted and said, "Please enakaaga?" He nodded and said, "yaarukaagavum mudiyadhu maa. Naan indha moonu varshathula oru naal kooda leave potadhu kedayadhu." She stomped frowned and turned her face away from him. He continued, "Seri naan kelambaren. Lunch bag eduthu tha." She, without turning around said, "Neengale eduthukongo" he then said, "chandanam ittu vidu" she said, "mudiyadhu" he continued, "Seri un mugathayavudhu kaatariya? Thirumbu maa" but she nodded, "mmhmmm maaten". He sighed and said, "seri aparama desk la unakku onnu vachirukken, paaru. Naan poitu varen."

It took her a minute to realize that he had left. Sivu's anger was always short lived. Hoping to catch a glimpse of him before he turned around the corner so she could still wave him good bye but she was a tad bit late. She sighed and felt bad for her behavior but was curious to see what was in the desk. She found a note pad, a brand new fountain pen, an ink bottle and a bunch of envelopes. That's when she remembered that she had mentioned to him a couple of days ago that a regular inland letter was not enough to pen down all her thoughts in her letter to her parents. She smiled thinking how thoughtful he was. She immediately sat down and started writing a long letter to her family. It was only when she returned to the living room, about half an hour later, that she saw the lunch bag sitting on the floor. He heart literally stopped. He had not taken the lunch. How stupid of her to have behaved like a child. She scolded herself and made a mental note never to get mad at him when he leaves for work, "che paavam avar. Velila kooda saapda maatarey. Sivu, unakku arive illai di. Seri seri avara sayangaalam samaadhaana paduthara maadiri edhavudhu pannanum. Ayyo avarukku enna pudikkum nu theriliye?" She thought and then she smiled at what he had told her, "avarukku thaan enakku enna pudikkumo adhu pudikume so inniki ennoda special tharatti paal panni kudukaren." She smiled at her bright idea.

After her regular chores, she decided to step out to get milk for the sweet. Now the local people were all familiar with her. In fact the milk man even knew how much she bought regularly. It was always 1 liter in the morning and one in the evening. He was surprised to see her with a bigger vessel. She handed over the vessel to him and said, "Dada theen.... Dhoodh" she said with 3 fingers up. He clarified, "Aajke 3 liter niye jaacho? Kee holo?" (You are taking 3 lit what's the matter) She thought for a second and smiled, "mishti mishti... husband jogda korlaam" (sweet sweet...fought with husband). She managed to convey the message to the man who laughed at her and said, "khoob bhalo" (very nice). As soon as she reached home, she got busy preparing the dish. She wanted to have it done before he got home.

He turned the corner and glanced at the large window. She wasn't there. He entered the building to the squealing of children playing. She wasn't there either. He sighed wondering if she was still upset with him. He rang the door bell and there she was with her usual bright smile. As soon as he stepped in, she said, "seekirama kai kaal alambeendu vaango. Naan coffee eduthundu varen." He changed and settled in. She came in with their coffee. She placed that on the tea table and hurried back into the kitchen. She returned with a plate in hand and said, "Kann mudungo". He obediently closed his eyes. Then she said, "aa kaatungo" and he opened his mouth. She placed a spoonful of therattipaal in his mouth. It was heavenly. He opened his eyes and said "mmmm.... Pramaadhama irukku. Enakku therattipaal pudikkum nu unakku yaaru sonna?" She blushed and said, "Neenga thaan sonnel" and she sat on the floor beside the sofa in which he was sitting. He looked at her confused and said, "Naan eppo sonnen?" She immediately replied, "adhu thaan enakku enna pudikkumo adhu ungalukkum pidikkum nu sonnele annikki. Appidi thaan kandu pudichen. Seri Neenga yen madhyanam lunch bag eduthundu pogalai? Velila saaptela?" He made a puppy face and said, "Nee thaan eduthu thara maaten nu solittiye adhu thaan inniki onnume saapadle". She made a sad face and said, "Naanum inniki saapadle. Neenga velila vaangi saapada maatelnu theriyum" she pouted. He immediately got off the couch, sat next to her on the floor. He then grabbed a spoon full of the therattipaal and said, " kanna moodi aa kaatu".

Just then there was a loud thunder and rain started pouring down. Both of them walked up to the big window. She stretched her hands out to feel the rainwater. The wind was blowing. She was lost in the beauty of nature and he was lost in her. That's when he told her, "Saturday leave apply panniyachu. Unna Calcutta suthi kaataren." She turned to look at him and asked, "Enakaaga va?" He smirked and said, "appidi illai. Oru chinna ponnu manasu kashta padakoodadhu nu thaan."  She was starting to recognize this feeling in her heart. She looked at the rain again. He said, "onnu sollattuma?" They looked at each other, "namma evvalo sanda potaalum un moonjiya mattum thirupikaadha. Naan thaanga maaten." She replied, "Neengalum kovatha saapadula kaamikaadhengo" giggling she continued, " naan pasi thaangamaaten" and they both laughed out loudly.

Brinda Subramanian

Brinda Subramanian