Rowdy Don

Meanwhile, in Calcutta, Aishu and Adu were growing fast. Adu was in nursery school already. Sivu was back to doing what he loves, being the maths teacher and Achchu was in serior management. Aishu was the perfect big sister with a strong personality. She doted on her little brother.

Aishu was an all rounder. She was good academically but she was also brilliant in the field of arts and sports. She had great leadership skills and was the class monitor but more than any of that, she was a protective older sister. One day, after playtime, Aishu brought Adu home. He had a bruised knee and he was limping. Aishu had a scraped elbow but she came home fuming in anger. Before the kids could explain anything to Achchu and Sivu, there was a knock at the door. Achchu answered the door and there stood an angry neighbor and her crying son. There was blood in his mouth and a tooth in hand. The lady looked at Aishu and then at Achchu yelling, " Tumaar mey aache naa ekdom bodmaash. Amar chele ke mareche. Dekho dekho ki hollo?" (Your daughter is terrible. She beat up my son. See what she has done) pointing to the tooth. Achchu did not know what happened but he quickly apologized on behalf of his daughter and said, "Ami jigish korbo or kaache. Abaar hobena eirokom. Sorry" (I will ask her about this. It won't happen again. Sorry).

Once the lady and her weeping son left, Achchu looked at Aishu angrily. Before he could ask anything, Adu said, "Baba, didi ya thitaadhengo. Andha mottu thaan enna thalli vittan. Naan out e aagale baba but Avan naan out aitten cholli bat en kailerndhu pidingi enna thalli vittan. Naan keezha vizhundhen, paarungo" he said pointing to his bruise, "Appo akka vandhu Avan kitta yen push panninen ketta, adhukku Avan akka va push panninaan" then he proudly smiled and said, "Akka dishum nu avana moonji la onnu kudutha but Avanoda pallu odanju pochu" and he started laughing. Aishu was still looking angrily but Sivu couldn't help laughing listening to that but she looked away. Achchu looked at Aishu and said, "Aishu nee naalikki avana bust stand la parkum podhu sorry chollu." Aishu was so angry that she teared up and said, "Naan sorry kekka maaten Baba. Naan thappu pannale. Avan ennoda thambiya thalli vittan. Appo kooda naan vaaya thoradhu thaan ketten but Avan ennayum adichaan adhunaala thaan naan avana adichen. Sorry kekka maaten Baba." Although Achchu understood her, he did not want her to repeat this behavior so he did something he had never done before, he raised his voice at his daughter, "Aishwarya lakshmi, naan chollardha kellu. Avan un thambiya thalli vitta udane nee enga kitta vandhu choleerkanam. This is not good behavior. Enkitta vera edhirthu pesarai. Naalikki nee avanta sorry cholla poraai."

Aishu did not want to talk back to her father but with tears rolling down her cheeks she said, "Ok Baba aana naan thaappu pannalai. Neenga chollardhu naala naan sorry kekkaren. Innonnu avanoda pallu already aadendu irundhudhu. Sherikyum paatha naan avana help aakum panninen. Andha pallu vizhundhadhu nannachu." Listening to that Sivu couldn't control her laughter so she quickly went to the kitchen covering her face.

Achchu still glared at Aishu and said, "Kai kaal alambitu poi homework pannara velaiya paaru. Inime indha rowdy madiri behave pannadhe. Po." Adu held his sister's hand and took her inside. Aishu washed up and started working on her homework. She could not stop crying. She could not believe that her Baba had yelled at her. Adu came and sat by her and slowly wiped her tears saying, "Akka Chorry akka. Ennala thaane Baba Unna thittina? Nee azhadhe akka aparam enakku oru azhuga varudhu" and tears started dropping down his cheeks as well. Aishu quickly wiped her face and smiled and her brother saying, "Ser seri akka azha maaten. Paaru eeee naan chirikkaren da."  He too smiled and both worked on their homework.

At dinner time Aishu ate quietly without looking at her Baba. Achchu was heart broken but Sivu looked at him and nodded asking him to give her some time. At night, both the kids had gotten used to sleeping in the other bedroom. Achchu slowly came by to Aishu and laid down beside her, gently caressing her hair, "Aishu maa Baba kitta pesa maatiya. Sorry da chella kutty Unna thittinadhukku aana nee mathavaala adika pdadhu kondhey. Baba va venumna adichuko aana enkooda pesaama irukaadhe maa." Aishu quickly hugged her Baba and touched his cheeks saying, "Ayo Baba parava illai. Naan naaliki andha mottu kitta sorry kekkaren. Nee enkitta sorry ellam cholladhengo Baba" and she quickly kissed his cheeks. Before going to bed he read both the kids a story and tucked them in.

Sivu was already in bed waiting for him. He climbed next to her and hugged her while she said, "Enna sollara unga rowdy ponnu". He kissed her and said, "paavam kozhandhaiya romba thittiten aana ava amma madiriye avalum rowdy. Adi mela yaarum kai vekka mudiyadhu. Rowdy paathuppa avana".

Brinda Subramanian