Part 14

Sivu was anxiously sitting with 4 sarees around her when Achchu walked in asking, "Namba oru mani nerathula kelambanum. Nee enna paneendu irukke?" She looked at him with a pout and said, "enakku endha podavai kattikardhu nu orey kozhappama irukku?" He smiled and walked up to her and selected the onion skin color saree with bottle green border. It had tiny jarri flowers on the body. It was a pure Kanchipuram silk saree that she had worn during the engagement part of their wedding. He remembered how gorgeous she looked in it. She thanked him with a smile and said, "idho ippo ready ayittu varen. Neenga poi maathikongo."

His heart skipped a beat when he saw her a few minutes later. She looked absolutely gorgeous in the saree. She wore a small necklace and a couple of matching bangles and earring. Her long think hair was tied up in a bun and a net over it to hold it in place. The round shingar bindi on the forehead, bright red sindoor where she had parted her hair and kajal in her eyes. She wasn't wearing any make up yet she looked no less than any film heroine. He looked dashing too in his suit. His tie matched the border of her saree. He wore a white shirt, black pant and a black suit. He wore a dark green tie which had tiny dots in them. His hair was well groomed and styled with Bryl cream. She smelt his perfume when she got close to him and she felt butterflies in her heart.

He called for a cab and directed him to go to the Great Eastern hotel. Sivu was still a little nervous about meeting his boss. She had never been to a party, let alone, at a five star hotel. She just decided that she will stay quiet and get the day over with. He realized her nervousness and said, "Maa kavala padadhe. Naan thaan kooda irukken la. Naan paathukaren." She smiled at him. Soon the taxi stopped outside this huge hotel. Achchu paid the taxi driver and they walked in. The party was in a ballroom on the 5th floor. They had to take the lift. She was taking a lift for the first time too and felt a little scared when it jerked to a stop. As they walked in to the ballroom, Achchu whispered to her, "thalaya kaamichuttu konja nerathula kelambidalaam seriya?" She nodded and looked around. There was a live band playing. Some people were dancing with drinks in hand. People were laughing and chatting in different groups. Most of the women were in modern clothes and heavy make up. Sivu immediately felt a little out of place. She sighed and walked alongside him.

Just then Mr. Thompson noticed Achchu and walked towards him saying, "Hello Mr. Anandasivan. I am glad you made it." He looked a Sivu and bowed his head saying, "this must be your bride. Let me introduce you to Bridget. Come on over" and he led them to where his wife was standing with a few other people. They were all holding a drink in hand. Mrs.Bridget Thompson left her drink on the table to come by and greet Achchu and Sivu. The other women joined her as well. Bridget looked at Sivu and smiled saying, "Mr. and Mrs. Anandasivan, welcome. It is a pleasure to meet you Mrs. Anandasivan. I am sorry I do not speak any Indian language. I hear you are from a village in Kerala so I do not know if you have had a formal education and would understand what I am saying but...." Achchu stopped her right there and continued, "I am sorry to interrupt you Mrs. Thompson but my wife is a Mathematics graduate who topped her class. She can read write and speak in English, Hindi, Malayalam and Tamil. Also in the past few months she has picked up Bengali as well. She is pursuing her Master's degree too so, for all you know, she is more qualified than most of us here. Now, if you will excuse us, I would like to introduce her to the others as well." Sivu was shocked and looked at Achchu as though she had just seen a ghost. He was still smiling but there was fire in his eyes. She could not believe that he had spoken this way to the President's wife. Meanwhile, Bridget was baffled. She felt embarrassed for her assumption and was apologizing to Sivu. She was more than happy to let go of their company.

Achchu held Sivu's hand and started walking towards Mr. Narayan, who was his direct boss. Mr. Narayan and his wife Lakshmi were very fond of Achchu. He had even attended their daughter's marriage a year ago. Lakshmi smiled at Sivu fondly and said, "Vaa maa Sivakaami. Ippo aavudhu Unna enga kannula kaatinaane. Lakshanama irukka da unnoda pondaati" she told Achchu for which both of them blushed. Mr. Narayan then went on to say, "Sivakaami unna pathi office la naraya solluvaan." Sivu now got curious, "Appidiya? Enna sonnar enna pathi?" Narayan smiled and said, "ellam nalladhu thaan. Pramadhama samayal pannuviyam apparam nee paatu paadina keetunde irukalaam nu sonnan maa." Sivu blushed and looked up at Achchu who looked away. He left her with Narayan and Lakshmi and went to get them some food since it was arranged in a buffet. The four of them found a table and they had a pleasant conversation. At the end of it, Narayan and Lakshmi invited Achchu and Sivu to come over to their house soon for dinner. They agreed and took leave. Before leaving Sivu walked up to Bridget and said, "Thank you so much for inviting us. We would like to take leave now. Good bye". Bridget smiled and bid them farewell.

As they stepped out, Achchu started to look for a taxi but Sivu asked, "innerathukku tram odeendu irukuma? Tram la polaama? He looked at his watched and smiled. Innum 10 minutes the last tram irukku." What she did next made him smile. He felt her fingers entwined with his as they started walking towards the tram station. She held on tightly and did not let go. The tram was quiet empty so they were able to occupy a two seater. Achchu tried to let go of her hand but she held it tighter which made him smile. She was looking out the window and hadn't said a word since they left.

As soon as they reached home she let go of his hand and hugged him. Her hug was different this time. He could literally feel her heart pounding. There was a different energy between them. He slowly removed the net from her hair bun and pulled the long hair pin. Her hair fell loose. He cupped her face and she looked up into his eyes. He kissed her forehead. She did not pull herself away like she usually would but she closed her eyes. He kissed her eyelids. She started to blush but she did not move away so he kissed her cheeks which made her smile. He lifted her face to pull her closed and gently kissed her lips. Her lips were soft and tasted like honey. He pulled himself away to see if she was ok with it. Her eyes were still closed but then she slowly opened her eyes and said, "Mathematician onnu sollata? I love..." this time he stopped her from finishing her sentence by locking her lips with his and this time she reciprocated by kissing him back.

Brinda Subramanian