Part 25

Achchu slowly moved in his half asleep state and, with his hands, looked for her but the bed was empty. He slowly opened his eyes to the, still, dark room. He opened his eyes wide and looked around, getting used to the light inside but she was no where to be see. The door had been unlatched but almost shut. That's when he heard the creaking sound of someone climbing the stair case. Soon he saw a hand, trying to push the bedroom door slowly, without disturbing him. She stepped in and shut the door again. He pretended to be sleeping and she walked in slowly to look  for a Bobby pin in the shelf. She yelped when his hand slowly reached her waist. She heard his husky voice, "Oii natta nadu rathrila enna vittutu enge pone? Aana ippidi madisaar pudavai ellam kateendu enna ezhupina naana thaan irukku aan enakku vera ennamo thonardhe maa. Laddoo madiri azhaga irukke" and he reached for her waist again. She moved away and said, "irukkum irukkum. Ungallukku naan madisaar kateendaalum irukkum kattikalenaalum irukkum. Enna thodave thodaadhengo. Naan kulichachu. Neengalum seekirama kulichu panjakacham kateendu, Appa, Periappa ellaru koodayum ukkandhu sandhyavandhanam pannara vazhiya paarungo. Innum konja nerathula vadhyar mama vandhuduva. Inniki ganapathy homam, Anusha homam aparam navagraha homam pannara. Naan ellam nertha ezhundirundhu, kulichu, vaasal thelichu, kolm kooda potaachu theriyuma. Ezhundurungo seekirammmm."

He smiled at her and stretched, "onne onnu kuduthuttu po aparam naan ezhundhukaren maa." She placed both hands on her hips and glared at him, "ippo ezhundukka porela illai athai kitta maati vidattuma?" He pretended to be scared and jumped out of bed, "ayo athai ya. Vendave vendaam ma. Naan kulikka ve poidaren" and he grabbed the towel and clothes that she handed and went to have a bath.

Achchu looked dashing in his panjakachcham, angavastram that covered his bare chest. He was wearing the poonal around his chest. The men were all seating in a row while their wives brought them their pancha pathram and utharini to start the sandhyavandanam. The ladies were in charge of decorating the house. Sivu and her mom had drawn a beautiful huge kolam outside and had hung a garland made out of mango leaves, on the front door. Several bags of flowers were placed in the main hall. Radhika and the other kids were given a huge thambalam to separate out the petals and place them in it. Geetha akka and Meena akka were given the task of making garlands. Chachu akka, chellamma and both periamma's too care of all the cooking. Revathi manni was helping with getting puja materials ready along with Sivu and her mom.

Just then, the men finished their part and Periappa yelled out for some coffee. Achchu decided to go upstairs to tie his panjakacham properly. Sivu finished her part so she came and sat by Radhika. All the kids were dressed in silk clothes and jewels except Radhu. Sivu said, "Radhu ennadi eppovum pottukara daavaniya pottundu ukkandhu irukke. Aathula visesham illiya? Vere edhavudhu nalladha pottuko. Ellarum paaru?" Radhu said, "Adhu onnum illai chithi" without looking up. That's when Sivu realized how stupid she had been. She stood up, grabbed Radhu's arms and pulled her up, "Seri nee en kooda vaa" and dragged her upstairs. She pulled her inside the room and said, "inge iru." Then she opened up the almirah and was trying to reach something on the top shelf. Achchu realized what she was trying to do and came by to help her. She said, "andha red bag eduthu thaango" which he did. Sivu pulled out 2 barely worn silk pavadai along with the matching blouse and dhavani. The first one was onion color pavadai with dark blue border. The blouse was also onion color and it went with a blue dhavani. The other one was a bottle green pavadai with dark pink border, green blouse and hot pink dhavani. She looked at Radhu and said, "Indha poi mathikko." Radhu was reluctant but Sivu insisted, "Idhellam edho kalyanathukku vaangi thandha adhukku aparam naan kattikave illai. Eduthukko aparam indha chainum, valaiyum pottuko." Radhu was hesitant, "Ayo chithi thevalai naan ippidiye irukken...." Just then Achchu stepped in, "aasaiya thara vaangikko. Nalla naala irukku. Vendaam nu solladhe." Radhu smiled and grabbed it from Sivu and ran to the other room to change.

Sivu smiled at Achchu and said, "Ava kooda Neenga sonnadhu nala thaan vaanginda. Naan evvalo kenjiyum kekkalai." He pulled her closer to him. "Oi pondatti, un kannu, un sirippu, un koral, un iduppu idhu ellathukkum mela enakku un kitta pudichadhu enna theriyuma?" and his hand went closer to her chest but she glared and held his hand. He laughed and said, "unnoda anbana idhayam nu thaan solla vandhen. Nee enndhu nenchu en kaiya thalli vitte?" She blushed. He pulled her closer to hug her and slowly whispered, "adhuvum romba pudikkum" and he squeezed her waist. She gasped. He said, " mami Neenga madisaar le amsama irukkel. Indha mama ku ennamo pannanum nu thonardhu" and was about to kiss her when they heard voices from downstairs, "Vadhyar mama vandhachu, pujai thodanga pordhu, ellarum vaango". Sivu squeezed out of his hold, grabbed his hands and went down the stairs. Radhu joined them immediately. Sivu smiled at her signaling that she looks beautiful, then she proceeded to adorn Radhu's hair with jasmine flowers. She then went back and grabbed some for herself too and pinned them in her hair. Then she glanced at Achchu who winked at Sivu and signaled the she looked gorgeous, then he looked to see if anyone was looking and quickly blew a kiss at her. She blushed sweetly.

This beautiful moment was interrupted by the priest ringing the bell to start the days rituals.

Brinda Subramanian