Part 28

Coimbatore was considerably cooler than Palakkad in terms of temperature. Ooty was close to CBE and the cool breeze made it very pleasant even in the peak of summer. After lunch Narayanan and Vijayam took a nap while Sivu snuck out to her favourite spot, the backyard swing. Achchu had decided to take a walk to the corner store to meet Govindan, the petty shop owner. Govindan and Achchu had grown up together, playing in the streets. Govindan's father passed away when he was in the 10th standard so he had to quit his studies to take care of the shop to support his 3 sisters and ailing mother. He had managed to get his sisters married and his mother had passed away as well and the unmarried Govindan was just taking care of the petty shop.

Sivu was enjoying the mild breeze and swinging away singing, "Thannilavu theniraika aalai maram neer thalikka kanni magal nadai payindre sendral ilam kaadhalanai kandu naani nindraal." Just then Achchu came looking for her and heard the song. He smiled and walked up to the swing. He slowed it down and sat next to her and said, "Yaaru andha kaadhalan?" She smirked and said, "hmmm.... Neenga illai poruma?" He slowly wrapped his arms around her slightly pinching her waist and said, "enna thavura Unna yaaru ippidi ellam kaadhalippa sollu." She almost jumped when she felt his hand and he quickly held her saying, "paathu paathu" removing his hand gently and swinging with her. She smiled and changed the topic quickly by enquiring about Govindan and his well being. They sat there chit chatting and swinging together for a while.

Just then Narayan stepped out yelling, "Deiii Kumar, inge vaa unakku oru velai vechirukken." Kumar was the guy who helped with the upkeep of their garden, claiming the coconut tree etc. Kumar was about 25 year old boy with an exuberant smile. He quickly ran in tying his towel around his head, folding his hand and bending down a little. Narayanan pointed to the coconut tree and said, "Angedhu naalu elaneer eduthu kudu." Kumar nodded and quickly climbed up the tree. He chopped 4 coconuts and dropped it on the floor. Then he grabbed the aruvaal and chopped just enough. Narayanan looked and Sivu and said, "Nammatha elaneer thaan best theriyuma. Nee kuduchu paaru unakku theriyum. Iru Ammavum varattum adhukku aparam odachu tharen. Unakku marudhani pidikumo? Inge paaru, kaadu madiri valandirukku marudhaani." Achchu helped her out of the swing and she walked along with Narayanan who was proudly displaying his fruits, vegetables and flowers. He handed her a little basket and asked her to pluck out the fully bloomed jasmine and roses.

Just then Vijayam walked out and sat on the platform. Achchu quickly walked up to her and sat next to her. She fondly patted his cheeks. After Narayan gave a proud tour of the garden, both walked back to the platform when Vijayam said, "Ayo ivoda peetha perumai thaangala da Achchu. Ellarkittayum ennoda maratha paaru, chediya paaru, kodiya paarunu" she complained. Achchu laughed and said, "Paavam ma appa. Unakku fresh a kaai, thenga, maanga ellam kadakardhuna adhu Appa vaala thaan." She fondly slapped his cheeks and said, "Unga Appa va vittu kudukka maatiye". Then she asked Sivu to come sit in front of her. She said, " inge vaa maa Sivakaami" and removed the hair that was tied up in a knot, " kondhey naan maruthaani ennai kaachi vechirukken paaru. Adukolai la oru kinnathula irukku paaru. Adhuvum cheepum (comb) eduthundu vaa." Sivu ran inside and grabbed them. Vijayam took some oil in her palm, rubbed it and applied it on Sivu's hair, gently removing the knots. She said, "ethara adarthiya irukku mudi. Nanna paathukko kondhey. Calcutta la maruthani elai kedakkum. Adha velichennai ka kaachi, oru pidi arisiyum molagum vachu kaachi vachukko." Sivu nodded in agreement. After removing the knot, Vijayam plaited her hair. Then she picked a rose from the little basket and placed it on her hair. Then she asked Sivu to turn around to look at her. She touched the hair in the front and then with both her hands cracked her knuckles to her forehead and said, "naraya dhrishti irukku da un pondatti ku."

Just then Narayan came with the tender coconut and, true to what he said, it was really sweet and refreshing. Vijayam saw that Narayanan had plucked the Marthani leaves so she scooted towards the ammi that was in the corner and made a paste of it. She placed that on a leaf and brought it to Sivu. She grabbed her palm and applied the paste in a circle surrounded by little dots, then she covered the top of her fingers with the same. Then she repeated the same on the other palm too.

Narayanan looked up at the sky and told Vijayam, "Mazha varadhukulla kovil ku poitu vandhudalaam vaa." Vijayam agreed and got up, "Irungo, kai alambindu, velakku etheetu varen." As soon as they left, Achchu scooted close to her and started teasing her with his fingers making her squeal. She threatened to smash the maruthani on his face which made him laugh out loud. She whimpered, "Irungo raathri eppidiyum idhellam alambeendu thaane paduthukka varuven appo vachukaren ungala."

Vijayam made some crispy dosa and coconut chutney for dinner which Achchu fed his wife. She took the opportunity to bite his fingers a couple of time with him wincing and saying, "valikkidhu maa kadikkadhe" and she teased back saying, "Idhu Ungalukku valikardha? Chumma poi solladhengo. Eppidi nadagam aadarel, rama. Romba anyayam idhellam." After dinner, the men helped clean up. Sivu decided to clean her hands off. Achchu pulled a bucket of water from the well with which she cleaned her hand thoroughly. She looked at the bright orange colors and smiled. Then she smelt her hands and closed her eyes while taking a whiff.

The young couple were laying in bed when he grabbed her hand and said, "Unakku en mela ishtame illai theriyuma?" Sivu frowned and asked, "Yen appidi sollarel?" He smirked and said, "Marudhaani nalla chevappu color aana thaan unakku en mela romba aasai nu cholluve." She smiled slowly started to unbutton his shirt and trace her fingers there. "Ippo enakku unga mela aasai irukka illiya nu theriyanum avvalothaane" and she started peppering him with kisses starting from his forehead, eyes lips and moving down his chest. He hugged her pulling her closer and on top of him, relishing every kiss.

Brinda Subramanian

Hello people, thank you so much for the love you have given this story. I am a little busy tomorrow so there might not be an update. Hopefully, I will return on Sunday. Have a great weekend and love you all.