Part 39

Sivu had successfully completed her first year of M.Sc. and was about to get a month's break. She was quiet confident about passing with a distinction. Once the results are out, her material for the second year will be shipped. Summer in Calcutta was gorgeous. Kids were on a break too. Unlike the south, Calcutta had an academic year that started in January and schools closed for a few weeks for summer and then a few weeks for winter. Although it was hot, it was also breezy. The whole building was vibrant with the sound of kids playing outside most of the time. Most days Achchu would find Sivu on the ground playing with the kids, when he returned home.

It was their wedding anniversary. Yes! A year had flown by so fast. Sivu had been feeling a little funny for the past few days but did not think about it much. She was excited for the day. She had recently learnt the art of making rosogolla and was planning to surprise Achchu. As usual, Achchu woke her up with a cup of coffee in hand and a gift bag "Happy Anniversary maa. Inge paaru unakku enna vaangindu vandhirukkennu? Kanna thora." Sivu gradually opened her eyes and smiled. She was excited to see the gift and quickly grabbed it. It was a beautiful red and white bengal cotton saree which was typically worn by bengalis. She had always told him how much she loved the combination and the way they tied it. Once, he had even mentioned that he wanted to see her tie the saree in that style and she had told him that, in order for her to do that, he would have to wear a kurtha like a Bengali man, as well.

She smiled at the saree and then looked up at him and was thrilled when she saw the other cover in his hand and she quickly got up to hug but felt dizzy and sat back down holding her head. His smile vanished and he quickly held her asking, "Ennama aachu? Udambu mudiyaliya?" and he sat beside her. She replied, "Ayo Adhellam onnum illai. Takkunu ninnadhula lesa thala suthina maadiri irundhudhu. Ippo seri ayiduthu. Kaapi kuducha sari ayidum." He quickly grabbed the coffee from the floor and handed it to her. The moment she brought the coffee close to her, she placed a palm on her mouth, returned the coffee cup to him and ran to the bathroom. The next thing he heard was her throwing up. She came out in a few minutes wiping her forehead with her saree. He ran up to her and held her hands, walking her towards the couch. He made her sit and said. Nee rest edu maa. Naan Unna doctor kitta kooteendu poren. Eppidiyum naan office ku leave pottadhum nalladha pochu.

They were at the doctors clinic by 10am. There were 3 people ahead of them already. There was a baby screaming his lungs out. Eyes and nose running. He looked at Sivu and stopped crying momentarily while she blinked at him with a smile but he was not impressed and continued crying. The baby was called in next. By the scream a few moments later, Sivu understood told that he had been given a shot. She grabbed Achchu's arms and said, "Ayyo indha doctor oosi poduva pola irukku. Enakku odambukku ellam onnum illai. Vaango namma polaam. Ayooooo kelmalaam enakku oosi na bayam." Achchu was trying hard to control his laughter, "Andha kozhandhai ku oru vayasu kooda ayirukaadhu. Paaru azhuga kooda ninnu pochu. Oosikku poi ippidi bayapuduvaala? Unakku oosi ellam poda maata bayapadadhe." Sivu glared and him, "Ungalukku en mela konjam kooda paasame illai pongo. Ippo ivvalo periya maatu oosi vachu enna kutha pora. Adha paathu sandosha padungo" and she frowned. She looked like a doll when she frowned and all he wanted to do was grab her and kiss her but he contained himself.

Just then the baby and his mom stepped out with their prescriptions. Baby seemed to have slept. The doctors assistant stepped out and looked at them and, with a grim face said, "Doctor ekun apnaarke dekbhe" (the doctor will now see you). Achchu and Sivu went past the green curtain. There was a steel table with a table cloth. The doctor was seated on the other side. Dr. Ghosh was a middle aged woman. She had a few strands of gray hair. She wore classes and was writing something but as soon as they entered, she looked up and smiled. "Come come sit" she said. She figured out that they were probably not Bengali so she spoke in English. "What is happening?" Achchu and Sivu looked at each other and Achchu said, "Doctor she woke up this morning feeling dizzy and then she threw up. So we wanted to get it checked." Doctor smiled and asked Sivu to extend her hand to check her pulse. Then she said, "hmmm.... How long have you been married?" Both of them said together, "Today is our anniversary." Doctor Ghosh smiled and told Achchu, "Can you please wait outside while I examine her?" Achchu nodded and stepped out. Doctor asked Sivu to lay on the bench in the corner of the room. She checked her belly and then asked, "When was your last mensuration?" Sivu said, "My periods have always been irregular so I think 4 months ago." Doctor smiled at her and said, "You are not sick. You are pregnant. I will prescribe iron tonic for you. Make sure you eat well and rest well. Do all your regular activities. Don't lift anything heavy." Then the doctor instructed the assistant to ask Achchu to come back in. He walked in looking concerned, "Doctor is she ok?" Doctor looked at him and smiled, "Congrats Mr. Anandasivan, you are going to be a father soon. It is still early in pregnancy so be very careful. Take good care of her mister" she smiled.

Achchu wanted to literally jump. He face lit up like a 1000watts bulb. He thanked the doctor a million times and looked at Sivu whose glance was still on the ground. She had not looked up for even a moment. Doctor handed the prescription to Achchu and as soon as they stepped out Achchu said, "I love you maa. I love you so much. Enakku evvalo sandoshama irukku theriyuma. Naan Appa aaga poren. Nee yen maa onnume pesa maatengare? Unakku sandoshama illiya? Enna achu maa." But she just quietly walked home which was right around the corner. She was processing the whole news.

As soon as they entered the house and shut the door, she hugged him tightly and started crying. He was surprised at her reaction. He held her tightly and said, "Yen ma azharey? Unakku sandoshama illiya? Enna achu?" In between her whimpering she said, "Naan amma aaga porena? Enakku enna sollardhu e therila. Enakku romba sandoshama irukku aana adha vida adhigama bayama irukku. Enakku yen azhuga varadhu nu kooda therila. Naan nalla ammava irupena nu kooda therila..." he stopped her and cupped her face, "shhhhh...... enna paaru. Unna maadiri oru amma kedakka namma kozhandhai kuduthu vachirukku, seriya? Enakku un mela muzhu nambikka irukku. Aparam naan un koodave thaane maa irukka poren. Unnayum namma kozhandhaiyum Ennakkum, edhukaagavum, yaaru kaagavum vittu kudukka maaten, seriya? Enna nambariya maa?" She smiled and nodded. He kissed her forhead and she grabbed to get his lips. After a long deep kiss she grabbed his palm and placed it on her stomach, whispering, "Happy Anniversary. Ami aapnarke khoob bhalo bhaashi." He smiled and continued to kiss her.

Brinda Subramanian