Next Phase

It had been 6 months since Radhu and Manikandan had decided to have a family and every month Radhu would be disappointed when her monthly visitor arrived promptly, her periods. Also, it did not help when her job revolved around pregnancy and babies. Even though Radhu was a doctor and she knew that it sometimes took time to conceive, as a woman, she yearned to hold her own in her arms.

Both of then were very busy as well, they did not even get a weekend off together. Meanwhile, Sulo and Rajan had been wanting to go to Guruvayoor for a couple of days. Finally, it all came together. Radhu and Manikandan got a weekend off together so Rajan and Sulo decided to take the trip. Early in the morning, Radhu heard a knock at her door followed by Sulo's voice, "Radhu muzhichundu irukkiya, naanga kelambarom." Radhu was just about to answer when  Manikandan grabbed her and said, "Enna vittuttu enge poray? Shhh... badhil pesadhe." She pushed him away saying, "Ayyo enna vidungo. Mami koopadra. Paavam" and she quickly got up fixing her saree and her and opened the door. Manikandan went back to sleep.

A little later Manikandan woke up and realized that the bed was empty. He had expected to her to come back after bidding goodbye to Sulo and Rajan but he had dozed off. He slowly got up. After fixing the bed he quickly went out to brush his teeth and had a quick shower. He then went looking for both his wife as well as his morning filter coffee which, he could smell from outside the kitchen. He found Radhu shredding coconut in the thenga thuruvi while chanting the Vishnu sahasranamam. She had washed her hair and the towel was still tied on to her hair. She was wearing a thin saree and the pallu was tucked in the hip area, revealing her waist. Her waist was always his weakness. He slowly crept behind her and wrapped his arms around it. Although she jerked at bit when she felt his touch, she smiled and turned around. She had a round bindi on her forehead and sandal paste right above it. Her sindoor was bright and her beautiful large eyes had the jet black kajal. Her side burns had a little bit of turmeric.

He leaned forward to smell her and closed his eyes. She stopped what she was doing to make his coffee but tilted her neck giving him access which he welcomed whole heartedly and started peppering it with kisses. She giggled and turned around with coffee in hand, "Indhaango ungaloda kaapi." He grabbed the cup but set it aside to cup her face and kiss her lips. Then he looked into her eyes and said, "Radhu, ennama aachu? Yen oru maadiri irukke?" She smiled and said, "Adhellam onnum illiye" and turned around. He grabbed her hand and made her face him again and said, "Idho paaru, unnoda indha rendu kangal irukke unnoda vaai solladhadha enkitta sollum. Adhe madiri unnoda sirippum. Nee edhayo pottu kozhapeendu irukke nu enakku theriyardhu. Ennadhu nu sollu, vaa. Enkooda ukkandhu coffee kudi. Matha velai ellam namma serndhu panikkalaam." She looked into his eyes worried and said, " illai namma try panni 6 maasam aachu. Onnum innum aagalai. Oru Doctor aa enakku theriyum sila perukku conceive aaga time aagumnu aana daily innorutharku delivery paarkathe aasaiya irukku. Oru vela namma baghyathula kozhandhai illaina enna pannardhu?"

Tears were threatening to pour out. He pulled her close to him in a hug. Then he held her face and said, "Nee first idha pathi romba yosikkadhe. Namakku thanga vigraham madiri oru kozhandhai porakka thaan pordhu. Appidi oru vela nadakkalaina unakku naan enakku nee. Seriya?" She quickly hugged him blinking which brought the tears flow down her cheeks which he quickly wiped. She touched his forehead with his keeping her eyes closed. He cupped her face and slowly and gently kissed her lips. When he slowly took his lips away, she moved closed kissing him this time. She grabbed his hand placing it on her waist and he squeezed it which made her part her lips giving him more access. They were lost in that moment until he slowly picked her up taking her towards the bedroom. She held on to him kissing him all the way. As soon as the reached the bed, she reached out to unbutton his shirt and started to kiss his chest while he got busy undressing her.

They explored every part of each other's body with no thoughts or worries. It was their moment to cherish each other and that day Radhu knew that they had reached the next phase in life. Parenthood.

Brinda Subramanian