Part 53

Aishu papa was growing fast and time was flying. She was almost a year old. Achchu had seen laughing, crying, teething, fevers, vaccinations etc etc. He had seem temper tantrums and mood swings from both mother and daughter and he had realized that he needed special skills to handle the opposite gender, be it a one year old or a 23 year old but he was totally in love with both of them.

Fortunately, Geetha didi and her daughter were of great help, especially with Aishu being a bundle of energy. Sivu helped Geetha's daughter with her maths homework, once she got back from school as well. Sivu enjoyed teaching and it came naturally to her. Geetha's daughter, Bijli went from failing the subject to getting 75% . Meanwhile, Aishu was a handful. She got into everything and by the end of the day Sivu was waiting for Achchu to get home so that she could just let him handle her. Sivu needed a break. Aishu papa on the other hand, wanted complete attention from the father. The moment he came home from work, she ran to him tugging on his leg to pick her up right away and if he took a moment, she screamed her lungs out. She got her way with her dad every time but not so much with mom.

They continued their evening walks to the park and their bhajans on Saturdays. Aishu seems to be loving both. She enjoyed sitting in the Puram while her dad pushed her and she was happy to meet all the uncles and aunties at the bhajan. There were plenty of kids there who picked her up and carried her around and she enjoyed playing with them. On one such Saturday, after Bhajans, Achchu was catching up with the men while he glanced at Sivu having a serious conversation with Nalini akka. A few moments later, he noticed Sivu vehemently nodding her head. Nalini was holding Sivu's hand and seemed to be requesting something but Sivu was denying. After saying their usual good nights, Achchu and Sivu started walking towards their home. Aishu had fallen asleep in her Pram.

Achchu asked, "Nalini akka kooda enna avalo serious aa pesindu irundhe?" Sivu smiled and said, "Adhu onnum illai Chumma thaan." Achchu frowned, "Enkitta solla maatiya? Avvalo periya secret aa?" Sivu looked at him immediately and said, "Ayayo Adhellam illai. Nalini akka National High School oda principal illya. Geetha akka athuliyum vela paakarale Appo naan Bhijli ku maths cholli kuduthadha pathiyum Aval 75% vaanginadhu pathiyum choleerka. Adhukku thaan Akka enkitta ava school 9th class oda maths teacher maternity leave la poraalam. Enkitta part time velaiku varaya nu ketta. Rendu manikyoor thaanaam. Adhuvum madhyanam. A section ku 40 nimisham aparam B section ku naapadhu nimisham. Adhukku aparam venumna aathukku poikko. Correction book ellam peon kitta aathukku kuduthu vidaren nu chonna. Naan thaan mudiya ve mudiyadhu nu cholitten" and she smiled. Achchu stayed quiet for a bit and then said, "Yen maa maaten nu chonne?" Sivu was surprised, "Yenna Neengale ippidi kekarel. Kozhandhai ya vittutu naan eppidi poven?" He smiled and said, "Yen ma. Madhyanam oru two hours thaane maa. Adhula mukka vaasi neram ival thoonga pora. Adhukku aparam Geetha didi yum Bhijli yum iruppa. Ava kooda thaan ival naana pazhagiyache. Unakkum iva kittendu oru break kedakkyum. Neeyum velila poitu vandhaina thirumba ival kitta pordhukku aasaiya irukkum. Adhukkum mela nee Paduchadhum innorutharukku prayojana padum illiya? Illai unga Periappa chonnadhu thaan seri nu nirubika poriya?"

Nalini Akka had given her some time to think but Achchu's words hit her like lightning. The very next day, Sivu sent a letter to Nalini akka, accepting the offer with a condition that she will give it a try for a couple of weeks first. Thus began Sivu's new journey.

Brinda Subramanian