Part 55

Sulo was at the temple when she saw Radhu and Chachu there. Sulo waved at them and when Radhu came closer, Sulo noticed a change in her. She didn't seem her usual bubbly self. "Radhu ennachu orumadiri irukkey? Ippo konja naala Unna aathu pakkam paarka mudiyaliye. Naaliki result vera varudhu ungalukku." Radhu smiled and said, " adhu onnum illai mami. Amma kooda konjam aathula irukken. Naaliki result varadhu aparam thirumba class thodangiyudum." Sulo nodded and said, "kannanukku vendi thaan inniki kovilukku vandhen. Avanum result vandha aparam internship aame. Madras ku poiduvan. Avana pirinju irundhuttillai adhu thaan konjam manasu kashtama irundhudhu. Inga vandhu ukkandhu irukken." She looked closely at Radhu and was happy to see a change in her reaction. She quickly looked up and said, "Ennadhu Madras aa?" Then changed the tone to, "oooo Madras aa? Seri Neenga peshindu irungo naan pradakshanam vachuttu varen" and she left.

Chachu sat next to Sulo and sighed, "Ivalukku enna aachu ne theriyalai. Rendu vaarama enkitta chidu chidunu vizhara. Aatha vittu velila poga maatengara. Minnala ellam chamayal mudiyardhukulla 100 dheram keppal aachaa aachaa nu. Ippo naan koopda vendi irukku. Adhayam seriya chappada maatengara. Edhavudhu ketta onnum illai nu chollara." Sulo smiled and said, "Nee onnum kavala padadhe Chachu. Ellam seri ayidum. Kovil la ukkandhu unkitta onnu chollaren. Radhu va pathi nee kavalaye padadhe. Aval engathu ponnu aayachu. Ippo padikattum seriyana nerathula naangala ponna kettundu varom. Aana ippo aval kitta onnum kekkadhe." Chachu was overwhelmed by Sulo's words and considered it a blessing.

Once Radhu finished her prayers, the three women walked home. Radhu was very silent on the way. Manikandan was standing at the entrance when they passed by. Radhu was still looking down at the ground. He kept looking at her, yearning for one glance but she walked right by. Sulo looked at him and said, "Kanna ulla vaa. Chaapadarthukku aacha? Doshai vaathu tharattuma? He nodded saying, "Vendam maa enakku pasikkala" and went to his room. He slowly walked up to his desk and casually looked up to see her opening up her window. He felt butterflies in his heart. He felt like things were going to be ok soon.

Results were announced the next day. Radhu had scored well and had passed with flying colors. Manikandan too had scored well, which meant he was off to Madras for a year and a half, to complete his internship, at the end of which, he will officially be an MBBS.  He caught her happily talking to her friends and he knew she had done well. He then went home.

The next day he started to pack for his trip. Sulo had already started her waterworks while preparing his favorite snacks. His accommodation and everything was already set. It was a regular summer day when suddenly dark clouds started to form and thunder indicated a gush of rain. Rajan announced, "Kanna mazhai jo nu kottardhu. Nee konjam minnalaye station ku poidu. Mazhai naala traffic um jaasthi ya irukkum." Manikandan yelled back, "Seri pa." Then he looked up at her window and sighed. She was nowhere in sight. The know auto rickshaw driver was waiting to load the luggage. He took the blessings of his parents and that's when Sulo said, "Chachu kitta choleendu po da." He knew what she meant but obeyed and went next door.

"Athai" he stood outside her house with a black umbrella. The moment she heard his voice, Radhu's heart skipped a beat. Chachu came out smiling and said, "Vaa vaa. Madras ku kalambiyacha?" He answered, "Amam Ungaloda aashirvadham vaangeendu polaam nu vandhen. Onnara varshathukku aparam thaan varuven. Neengal adhukulla Madras pakkam vandha vaango." He took her blessings and she applied vibuthi on his forehead. Radhu was in her room and she wanted to cry but something was stopping her. That's when she heard him say, "Poitu varen athai. Radhika kittayum chollungo." She heard him step out and could not stop herself anymore. She ran out the door in the rain just when he was about to get into the auto.

"Nillungo oru nimisham" he heard her voice and turned around to see the dripping wet Radhu running towards him. He took few steps forward and covered her with his umbrella saying, "Ayo full aa nenanjirukke paaru." Water was dripping down her forehead making her bindhi run too. She caught her breath and said, "Sathyam panninele vittutu poga maaten nu. Adhukulla vittuttu porela?" He smiled and said, "Onnara varshathula odi vandhuduven. Adhukku aparam neeye enna thorathinaalum naan engeyum poga maaten." She opened out her palm and said, "Sathiyama? Vaazhkai full aa?" His face beamed with happiness and he placed his palm on hers saying, "Sathiyama. Idho paaru sakshikku enga Appa, amma, athai ellarum irukka. Poruma?" Then he placed his palm on her head and said, "Nee nanna padi. Ennoda edathula irundhu Amma va mattum konjam paathukko. Ippidi eerathula ninna jaladosham pidikkum. Udamba paathukko. Seri varen". Before jumping inside the auto he looked at her and blinked, handing the umbrella to her.

She had held on to the tears which now had escaped her eyes. She kept staring at the auto until it turned the corner, before which he peaked quickly and she blinked to capture that smiling face.

Brinda Subramanian