Part 49

Aishu papa was a happy 3 month old. She was a bundle of joy. She smiled a lot and loved talking to people around her. She cooed and gurgled. She had the little copper and gold kaapu in her ankles that made tiny sounds when she moved her legs. She nursed well and had even started on some solids. Sivu too, had rested well. Chellal made sure Sivu ate well and rested well. Sivu was extremely excited. She had just nursed the baby. It was early in the morning and Aishu papa was in a mood to chat with mom. She was cooing and Sivu said, "inniki unga Appa vara theriyuma? Rendu naal la namma ellarum choo choo train la nammathukku poga porom. Unakku train la ponamo Appa kooda? Nee kutty ya irukardha Appa Unna paatha, ippo nee chamatha chaptu periya paapa va irukke ippo. Appa Unna paakka romba engeendu iruppa. Appa vanda udane azhadhikki chamatha irukanum, seriya. Appa mela chucha poga pdadhu seriya?" Baby giggled like she understood.

Chellal slowly came in with milk for Sivu. Since she was nursing, she was still having pathiya chappadu. She said, "Indha Sivu maa, paal kudi. Kozhandhaiya enkitta thaa. Ennadi thanga kutty, enna pannardhu chellam. Kaalangarthala amma kooda kadhai pesardha pattu kunjalam" she said to the baby. Baby was laughing happily. She had learnt to roll over recently too so chellal let her on the floor to play. She told Sivu, "Nee paal kuduchuttu, kulichuttu vandhudu. Naan adhukku aparam vallam choodakkaren kozhandhaiya kulupaata. Ava Appa varathukulla avala jammu jammunu manaka manaka vekandama?" Sivu agreed. She quickly had a bath. She decided to wash her hair as she knew he loved to see her hair let loose. As soon as she came back into the room, Sivu noticed Chellal massaging the baby with oil. The baby was enjoying it thoroughly. Then Chellal told the baby, "Unga amma kulichuttu vandhaachu. Aval ini unga Appa ku ready aagandaama? Vaa namma poi kulichuttu varalam." Sivu blushed at what she said but was happy to have the room to herself for a bit.

She wore one of is favourite saree, the white and red bengal cotton. She partially dried her hair and let it loose. She grabbed a little string of hair from either side and pulled another bit from the center to mark and thin plait. Then she applied the kajal in her eyes and dragged her finger to make wings, just like he liked it. She applied a dot of boroline cream on her forehead and took some kumkum to put over it so that it will stay put. Finally she applied the sindoor on her parting. By then Chellal brought Aishu papa after a bath all wrapped up, and handed her to Sivu, "Indha inni ival unnoda poruppu." Sivu smiled and took the baby to the bed.

She laid her on the rubber sheet and started humming, "chinna paapa enga chella paapa". Aishu papa was shaking her hands and legs vigorously and cooing. Sivu took out the powder dabba and, with the puff, applied powder all over the body, under arms, thighs. This made the baby giggle. Then she took a towel and dried the arana cheradhu on her waist. Then she fixed the nappy and then the cute little frock that Achchu had send by mail from Calcutta. She then brushed the baby's hair with the baby brush. Then with her finger, she took some kajal from her eyes and placed it on the baby's forehead and a dot on the cheek.

She heard his arrival and wanted to run to see him but she knew that he had to shower before coming to see either of them. She whispered, "Kutty maa unga Appa vandhaachu. Chatham kettudhu paathiya? Pakshe Appa kulichuttu thaan nambala vandhu paarka mudiyum. Amma maadiriye neeyum konjam poruthuko dee kondhe." Just when she heard the creaking stairs, baby started crying indicating that she was hungry. Sivu held on to her and said, "Idho paaru Appa vandhachu." Just then Achchu entered the room and Sivu's heart sank. She teared up saying, "Ennadhu idhu ippidi elachu poirukkel. Neenga chaaptela illiya. Enna paarungo? Eppidi gunda irukken nu." She ran towards him and hugged his bare body which was barely covered with a towel. Achchu hugged her back, "Unna paathutten liya innime paaru gundaiduven." He then cupped her face,"Ei edhukku azhare nee? Enna paathu sandhoshathula sirippe nu nenachen?" He smiled. She pretended to slap him on his shoulder and said, "ungala paarkama yengi poiten theriyuma." Just then the hungry baby now gave a hangry scream. Achchu smiled and rushed towards the bed to pick her up, "Kutty maa azhadha da. Appa vandirukken paaru?" He held her close to his heart and peppered her cheeks with kisses. Then he handed her to Sivu saying, "Indha avaloda pasi ya modhalla aathu adhukku aparam enkittakuduthudu.  Moonu maasathuku sethu vachu konjanam avala." Sivu quickly moved her saree and blouse to offer the breast for the hungry baby who quickly latched on and started sucking desperately." Sivu said, "Appakku ponnu mela irukkara paasathula paadhi kooda amma kitta irukara maadiri theriliye? Moonu maasathukku sethu vachu konjanama kozhandaiya?"

He smirked and said, "Pondaati maa, adhukku enna? Pagal la ponna konjaren rathiri pondaati ya konjaren." Sivu frowned and said, "Adhellam onnum vendaam. Pondaati yellam kozhandai pethu kudukara varaikkum thaan." He quickly sat next to her, wrapped his arms around both of them and kissed her cheeks and she closed her eyes enjoying his proximity.

Brinda Subramanian