Maruthani

The following day Gayu was up early, before anyone else. She quickly had a shower and was ready to go. She woke her mom up saying, "amma, amma ezhundiru maa. Kalyana aathukku help panna thaane vandirukke? Ippidi somberi maadiri thoongariye." Radhu rubbed her eyes and got up, "Enna di idhu? 6 mani thaan ayirukku. Avale ezhundhirundiruka maata. Nee ezhuppina ezhuppina ezhundhirukaadhavalukku engendhu di sudden aa ithara shurushuruppu?" Gayu pretended to blush saying, "Maams enakaaga wait paneendu iruppar maa." Radhu rolled her eyes saying, "Unnoda velayaatu thanathukku alavu illai di. Idhellam edhula kondu poi mudiya pordhu theriyalai enakku." The she slowly got up and decided to freshen up.

By 8:30 they were all there at the house just in time for breakfast, which was simple idli and chutney. It was marudhaani day. Joseph's mother and relatives were the first ones to get theirs as they had plans later. Gayu went and sat next to Aishu and was watching the design being drawn on the brides hands and leg. Aishu smiled at her and asked, "Unakku vendaama di? Neeyum pottuko." Gayu got excited and said, "Enakkum design aa akka? Rendu kailayum potukattuma?" Aishu leaded forward to peck a kiss on Gayu's cheek and said, "of course. Rendu kailiyum pottuko." Gayu was eagerly waiting to show it to Adu who was no where to be found. Gayu slowly walked towards her mother and asked, "Amma maams enge ma?" Sivu heard her and said, "Mandabathula konjam velai irundhudhu aparam bakshanam ellam order kuduthirundhom liya? Adha poi vaangeendu varathukku poirukkan." Gayu sighed, "Che idhukku Pesama innoru 1 hour thoongeerkalam. Gayu nee enna ellam sacrifice pannarai di andha manishanukku vendi."

A couple of hours later Gayu saw an auto stop by outside. Adu got out from the front seat which he had shared with the auto driver. There were several boxes in the back seat. Gayu got up excited and ran towards the front door. Adu was trying to get the boxes unloaded. She ran up to him yelling, "Maams inge paarungo? Ennoda mehandi eppidi irukku?" She ran a bit too fast and almost knocked over the box in his hand. Adi glared at her saying, "Unakku eppovum velayattu thanam thaana? Inge ekkachakkama velai irukku. Unnala help panna mudiyalai na thondharavu pannadhe" then he yelled out for Gokul to give him a helping hand.

Gayu was fuming in anger. Her nose flared. She stormed to the back yard and pulled a bucket of water from the well. Then she dipped both hands in the bucket and removed her mehandi. Then she threw the water on the nearby plants and went to sit on the outdoor steps mumbling, "Che enna manishan indha aalu. Azhaga pesa kooda therilai. Navy officer aam navy officer. Pesa theriyalai, chirikka therilai. Ellam ennoda thalai ezhuthu. Innime naan poi pesarena paaru. Maams, neeya vandhu pesara varaikkum naan unkitta oru vaartha kooda pesa maaten. Enakkum naanam maanam ellam irukku." While she was sitting there mumbling she felt someone come and sit next to her. She was in no mood to chat so she got up. Just then she felt a strong arm hold her wrist and place something on her palm. She looked at the object and immediately cooled down. It was a nice, round laddoo. She heard his base voice saying, "Sorry". She looked up at him and sat back down, taking a quick bite of the laddoo. He smirked and asked, "Laddoo nanna irukka? Bakshanam kondu vandhu unakku thaan first tasting. Pure nei la paneerka mami. Eppidi irukku?" Her eyes lit up to say it is excellent but she remembered that she was supposed to be mad at him. So she said, "Naan unga kitta pesa maaten. Eppidi thittinel enna." He again replied in his base voice, "Sorry maa. Nee fast aa odi vandhiya. Unakku adi padumo nu bayathula thittiten. I am so sorry." She frowned and said, "Seri seri. Ok. Aparam vera enna bakshanam kondu vandhel?" He laughed and nodded but replied saying, "First class velichennai la pannina murukku, mullu thenkuzhal aparam nei la pannina adhirasam, Mysore pak." Her mouth was watering already, "Aaha kekkave jolly ya irukke." Just then he held her palm and said, "Marthaani enna panithu? En mela irukkara kovatha yen adhu mela kaatine." She blushed and said, "theriliye". He smiled and said, "Hmmm.... Seri ulla polaam vaa. Ellarum theduva." He got up to leave but stopped, "Apparam..... Innonu chollanum" he hesitated, "You have the most gorgeous smile so keep smiling" and he walked away leaving Gayu a blushing mess.

Brinda Subramanian