Part 51

Although Sivu pretended to be possessive about Achchu, she loved to see the growing bond between Achchu and Aishu papa. Right from the moment he had arrived, he wanted to be with her every waking moment. Sivu pretended to sleep a little longer just so that he could get few more minutes with his baby girl. She took sneak peaks at them just to see that love in his eyes for her. The train journey to Calcutta was smooth and Aishu papa was the best behaved baby.

They got a warm welcome in the building with Aarthi for them and the baby. The landlady applied tikka on both Achchu and Sivu's forehead. The train of kids followed them inside the house to get a glimpse of the baby. Sivu let them take a look at her smiling face but then told them to come back later as the baby is tired after a long journey. The kids left reluctantly. Sivu sighed. She was so happy to be home, their home. Even though they were all stinking and the soot from the train's engine was all over them, she leaned on his chest to listen to his heart beat. It gave her a sense of peace. They quickly took turns to have a bath. By the time she finished giving the baby a bath, the poor thing was screaming hangrily. Sivu said, "Iru maa iru maa, amma oda podavai ellam eerama irukku. Idho orey nimishathula maathindu varen di maa" but Aishu papa could care less about her wet saree so Achchu quickly handed her a towel and said, "indha andha eera podavaiya angeye podu. Idha Chumma mela pottukko. Paavam kozhandai ippidi azhudhu naan paathadhe illai." Sivu agreed and grabbed the towel and nursed to baby to sleep. In the process she dozed off too. Achchu saw that and realized how tired both must be so he let them rest. Just then Geeta didi arrived with her 12 year old daughter.

Achchu let her in gesturing them to stay quiet. He requested her to get a few basic things such a milk and some vegetables. When Geeta and her daughter left, he quickly grabbed a light blanket to cover his wife and baby. When Geeta brought him the stuff, he discussed her increase in pay and in return, for her to help Sivu with the baby as well. Geeta was more than happy. Sivu woke up along with her daughter, realizing that they had slept for 2 hours. She quickly gathered herself. First she found a saree to wear and then rushed to the kitchen to find her husband humming and finishing up cooking. He smiled at her and said, "molagootal, thogayal, rasam, pappadam. Aparam nei kaachi vechachu. Vera edhavudhu venuma?" He bowed his head as though he was serving the queen. She was overwhelmed and told Aishu papa, "Kondhe neeyum appa madiri chamutha irukanum seriya?" He quickly picked up his daughter saying, "En ponna oru thurumbu kooda eduthu vekka vidamaaten. Avala rani maadiri paathuppen." Sivu said, "Adhu seri. Aparam avala kalyanam panni kudukartha ava maamiyar maamanar namala thaan cholluva. Ange poi aparama kashta padanam." He kissed his daughter's chubby cheeks and said, "ennoda Rani kutty ku veetoda maapillai thaan. Avan nammathula vandhu irundhukattum. Naan retire aagi unga ellarukkum samachu podaren." Sivu nodded and said, "Ayo unga Appa Unna keduthu kutti chavaru aaka pora dee kondhey." In response the baby looked at him cooing and trying to tug on to his beard. Then she placed her mouth on his cheeks giving him his first kiss.

Brinda Subramanian

Kutty chapter. Mannikavum. If I have some time later, I will try to squeeze in another chapter. No promises though. 💜