Part 33

Sivu stepped out of National High School beaming. Her exams were all done and she was extremely happy with her performance. She was walking back home happily when she got a glimpse of her old friend, the puchka wala. The older gentleman smiled at her, revealing his crooked front teeth. He recognized her from being one of his regular customers. He yelled, "Puchka kabhe?" (Want to eat some puchka?) "Babu moshai kothai?" (Where is the man?) She smiled and walked up to him. She took a peek at her purse and took out a rupee and handed it to him saying, "Babu Moshai office e aache." (Babu moshai is in the office). He quickly started making the puchkas for her, 10 for a rupee. He knew exactly how she liked them and smiled looking at her happy face and asked, "Teek achche?" (Is it good?) and she nodded since her mouth was full. Then she waved at him and walked home.

Soon Achchu was back from office and he had some exciting news for her. After changing, he sat down on the sofa, just on time for her to arrive with the coffee. He asked her to sit next to him, "Maa unakku oru happy news solla poren. Enga office branch Darjeeling la irukku nu sonnen illiya? Adhutha vaaram namba rendu perum ange porom. Ange konjam work irukku. Narayanan sir thaan pogardha irundhaar but avarukku konjam odambu mudiyala. Adhuvum illama avar ku adutha edathula naan thaan irukken adhunaala enkitta handle panna sonnaar. Ennakku official trip aana nee ippo konjam free ache so unnayum kootindu polaamnu train ticket book panitten." She literally jumped, danced and squealed in happiness. She sat back down, hugged him and planted a kiss on his cheek. "Aiiiii nejama va sollarel? Ennikki porom eppo porom?" He smiled, "Iru maa sollaren sollaren aana Darjeeling la nee ippidi podava ellam kateendu vandhena avvalo thaan unnoda odambu marathu poidum. Calcutta kuluru ellam onnume illai. Naaliki market la poi unakku innum rendu moonu salwar, sweater, shawl ellam vaangalam. Enkitta kulurukku pottuka ellame irukku seriya?"

Next day was shopping day. This time she knew exactly what she wanted. She picked 3 sets of salwar kameez, a couple of shawls, sweaters, socks and a monkey cap. Then they went to get her a pair of shoes. She was having a blast trying it all out and he was admiring her innocent childlike excitement. After the purchases, they enjoyed a day of window shopping, eating chaat, drinking the malaai lassi. She was tired by the time the got back home. She plopped herself on the sofa. He noticed that she was tired so he grabbed all the bags and placed it in a corner in the other room. He quickly changed for bed but she was still sprawled on the sofa. He sighed at her and said, "Maa dress maatheendu paduthukka vaa maa?" She extended both her arms and said, "Ennala oru adi kooda eduthu vekka mudiyadhu. Neenga venumna enna thookeendu pongo."  He was shocked by what she said, "Unakku ennachu inniki? Lassi thaane kuduchom rendu perum? Ippidi ellam pesarey?" He giggled and winked at him, "enna thookindu povela maatela?"  He rolled his eyes and said, "enna edho vambula maati vida pora maadiriye irukku enakku. Seri vaa thookeendu poren." So he scooped her from the sofa and she wrapped her arms around his neck.

She hummed "Anbulla mannavane aasaiyil oar kaditham naan kaigalil ezhudavillai kangalil ezhudhi vandhen" and he started to blush. She was thoroughly enjoying it and he was surprised to see this naughty side of her. He placed her on the bed and said, "Nee innikki ennamo seriye illai." She giggled and rolled on to her back, pulling him along and said, "Inniki naan romba romba sandoshama irukken. Yen nu Enakke therilai. Enakku ennenavo thonardhu." Just when Achchu thought he was going to get lucky, she sat up with her hand on her head, like she just remembered something, "oooo ippo thaan nyabagam vandhudhu. Enakku inniki oru letter vandhudhe? Naan adha padikkave illai. Yaaru kittendhu nu kooda paakaliye." Achchu rolled him eyes and said, "Maa letter odiya poida pordhu. Naaliki paduchukko maa" and he pulled her close and kissed her passionately. When their lips parted, she pushed him away and said, "Ayyo enakku adha ippo paathe aaganum. Irungo naan seekirama paduchuttu varen. She rolled over him and climbed out of the bed to go grab the letter. Achchu just stared at her with his mouth wide open. He could not believe that she had left him hanging in there, just like that.

She smiled look at the letter and said, "Radhu kittendhu" and she quickly opened it to read aloud, "Anbulla chithi kum chithappa kum Radhu ezhudhuvadhu. Neenga ellam nanna irukkel nu nambaren. Naanum amma vum enga oorukke thirumbi vandhuttom. Peria mama ku enga mela kovam. Unakku thaan theriyume enakku doctor aaganum nu aasai. Exam ku kooda paduchene. Aana mama enakku oru varan vandhirukku kalyanam panikka sollara. Adhula konjam vaaku vaadham. Adhannala Naanum amma vum inge vandhom. Naan nallapadiya exam ezhudhi nalla mark vaangeerken. Merit la enakku Trivandrum medical college le admission um vandhirukku aana ammavukku odambu mudiyalai. Enna ne theriyalai. Irumal nikkave maatengardhu. Adikkadi joram vera varudhu. Vaithyar mama kashaayam kuduthuttu poirukka. Konja naal le seri ayidum nu sollara. Mathapadi ange enna visesham? Unnoda M.Sc. eppidi pordhu? Unnaiyum chithappa vayum dhenamum nenachuppen. Unakku samayam kedacha marupadi podu. Ippadikki Radhu"

Both Achchu and Sivu were not sure how to react to the letter but there was a strange unsettling feeling that they both felt. Sivu read and re-read the letter a couple of times before placing it back on the desk. She sat on the bed in deep thought. Achchu wrapped his arm around her and said, "Nee kavala padadhe maa. Ellam seri ayidum. Naaliki post office ku poi trunk call pottu amma Appa kitte pesi, oorla poi avaala paathuttu vara solalaam maa." She smiled feebly and nodded in agreement.

Brinda Subramanian