Part 52

Final exams were on full swing for Radhu and Manikandan. Radhu was completing her first year and Manikandan, his 4th. He had a year and a half of the internship program before he could get his MBBS. Manikandan was a student who was very relaxed even during exams so he did well. Radhu on the other hand, was on panic mode. Even from his window, Manikandan could see that she was panicking. He wanted to calm her down and he hoped she would glance at him but she was focused on her books, taking notes vigorously. She was biting her nails, smacking her head. She looked so damn adorable. Manikandan's mind voice had to remind him, "Dei Dei, paathadhu porum da. Aval thaan Unna thirumbi kooda paarakalaye. Apparam neeyen daa angeye vaaya polandhundu paathundu irukke? Porum padi" he smacked himself and started studying. After a little bit he looked again at her window but she wasn't there. He continued working and few minutes later her looked again but no sign of her.

"Mami, Mami" he heard Radhu at their front door. Sulo walked out from the kitchen. Radhu was standing at the door with her books. She looked nervous, "Mami mama irukaala?" she asked. Sulo looked worried, "Illiye maa. Inniki edho operation irukku nu aaspathiri ku poirukka. Ennachu? Udambu kidambu seri illiya? Edhukku padattama irukaan? Vaa vaa ukkaru." Manikandan was overhearing the conversation from his room but did not want to come out yet. He heard Radhu saying, "Illai mami, udambukku onnum illai. Paadathula thaan sandeham. Indha chapter cholli tharatheye Professor kitta ketten. Appo neengal ellam medical students, idhu school alla nu cholli enna thitti vittutaar. Ippo paatha naraya mukkiyamaana kelvi idhulerndhu varumo nu thonardhu. Enakku bayama irukku mami. Indha Doctor padippu ellam aasa patta mathram poraadhu budhiyum venum illiya?" She whined. Sulo touched her shoulder lovingly and said, "Enna kondhey nee ippidi ellam chollarai. Nee andha kugramathula paduchu ethara nalla mark vaanginaai. Iru naan Kannana koopadren. Avan cholli tharuven." Before Radhu could say anything, Sulo yelled, "Kannaaaa..... dei onnu inge vaa. Radhu ennavo kekkara paaru" and pat he appeared like a ninja warrior. He was waiting just for this moment.

He came to the room trying to not look desperate, "Ennachu Radhu...Radhika? Edhavudhu problem aa?" She looked at him reluctantly and said, "Illai indha chapter konjam kashtama irukku. Puriyalai. Adhu thaan mama kitta kekkalaam nu vandhen. Ungalukkum parikshai irukku theriyum. Sorry disturb panninadhukku..." he stopped her midway saying, "Adhellam onnum prachanai illai. Nee onnu pannu. Unakku atshebanai illai na ennoda room liye padi. Eppeppo doubt varudho kettuko. Namma rendu perum cherndhe padikkalaam. Naanum paducha madiri irukkum. Nee enna disturb um pannardha nenachukka vendam." Radhu was 100% sure about this but she agreed. He directed to his room and excused himself to the kitchen to get some water for both of them. Sulo, who had heard the entire conversation, looked at him and said, "Dei badava, periya aalu da nee. En pullai paavam nu nenachen. Mariyadhaiya kadhava thorandhu vai. Naan appapo vandhu etti paarpen." Manikandan laughed at his mother's comments and said, "Ayyo amma naanga padikka thaan porom. Venumna neeyum ange vandhu ukkandhuko." She smacked him fondly and said, "Seri seri avalukku cholli kudu."

Radhu felt a lot better after an hour of getting her doubts cleared. She felt confident and her smile sneaked back on to her face. She was also feeling less jittery to talk to him. She thanked him before leaving saying, "Ungalukku ethana thadava thank you chonaalum pathaadhu. Enakku ippo thaan nimmadhiya irukku. Naaliki exam nanna ezhundhuven nu thonardhu. Neengalum nanna ezhudhungo." He smiled at her and said, "All the best" and she responded with, "same to you."

The next morning Radhu wore the orange saree and got ready for college. Manikandan too was just stepping out. He let her pass his house and raised his thumb to her wishing her luck. She smiled and nodded. He quickly blinked his eyes earning a blush from her. That evening again her heard her voice, "Mami" he smiled and stepped out. Radhu looked at him and said, "Illai inniki parikshaila inga ukkandhu Paducha questions naraya vandhudhu. Romba nanna ezhudinen. Inge paducha enakku lucky nu thonardhu. Ungalukku atshebanai illai na, unga kooda padikattuma?" Manikandan tried to control his smile by biting his lower lip and said, "vaa ulla vaa, padikkalam" and they both smiled.

Brinda Subramanian