Part 43

Although Sivu's pregnancy was going well, she was struggling with some of the changes. She did not know why she was crying for random things and getting angry unreasonably. Taste buds were different and she felt tired constantly. One such day, Achchu returned from work to find Sivu sitting on the bedroom floor. She was sobbing with her face on her knee. He quickly ran up to her, sat beside her and wrapped his arms around her asking, "Enna mma achu? Edhukku azharey? Yen tharaila ukkandhu irukke?" She turned around and started bawling hugging him, "Enakku yen ippidi thookam thookama varudhu. Padikka ve mudila. Padikka book thorandhaale thookam thaan varudhu. Naan fail aaga poren. Enakku M.Sc. vendaam" and she cried loudly. Although Achchu found her to be extremely cute and just wanted to kiss her, he also understood her. He gently caressed her head saying, "shhhh.... Azhadhe maa. Ellam seri ayidum. Konja naal la indha symptoms ellam poidum maa. Un udambukku rest theva ma. Kozhandai valarardhu illiya." She stopped crying but was still holding on to him and whimpering. He smiled and kissed her forhead. She turned towards him and said, "irungo Ungalukku tea pottu kondu varen. Kaapi venumna Neenga thaan potukanum. Kaapi kitta ponaale vayila edukka varudhu (puking)." He smiled and said, "Seri naan pottukaren. Nee rest eduthukko."

He was just about to get up when she pulled him back down and said, "Nethi la mattum thaan mutham tharuvela?" He smirked and placed a kiss on her forehead, her eyes, tip of her nose, her cheeks and pulled away for a moment to look at her face. She was smiling with her eyes closed. Keeping her eyes closed, she pulled his by his collar for a kiss on her lips. He gave her a long gently kiss on her lips and slowly let go. Then he cupped her face and said, "ippo poi naan kaapi pottu mattuma ennoda chella pondaati." She blushed and let him go saying, "Hmmm ippodhaikku idhu porum. Aparama paathukalaam."

He quickly changed and went to make himself some coffee while she went to freshen up after all the crying. She came back to set next to him but the smell of coffee bothered her so much that she moved away. He looked at that and said, "Maa naalilerndhu Naanum tea ye kudikkaren. Kozhandai vara varaikkum namma coffee ye vaanga vendaam, seri ya?" She said sadly, "Aana Ungalukku kaapi romba pidikkume. Yen vittu kudukarel? Enakaagava?" Tears were threatening to come out again but he cupped her face and said, "konja naan kaapi kudikalena onnum aagadhu. Unakku kashtam kudukara edhuvum naan panna maaten adhuvum ippo" he said, gently touching her stomach. She placed her hand over his and smiled. It was right at that moment that the both felt it, a slight flutter.

They looked at each other and gasped. Their eyes widened. Then it happened again and this time she knew it. It was the baby. Yes, the baby was starting ti move. As early as four months and she could feel the baby move. As days went by the flutter's increased in frequency and she started  to feel less tired. She was able to keep up with her time table again. Achchu made sure Sivu had her medicines everyday. At night before bed, he always warmed up a glass of milk with a few strands of saffron. He was taking full care of her and she needed him more than ever, in every way. He was always there to pamper her.

She had completed another semester successfully. In few more months she will be done with her course. It was the night of her final exam. They were in bed facing reach other. He slowly caressed her hair and gently rubbed her neck. It felt good. She closed her eyes. His arms had now reached her bare back and she moaned slowly reaching out to his chest and kissing him. She pulled closed to him and reached for his lips. He obliged gently at first but she kissed him passionately. That's when the baby kicked. It was not a flutter any more. She smiled between the kiss, grabbed his hand which was fondling her eager breast and slowly moved it down to her stomach. She whispered, "Velayadaran namma kozhandai. Ennaku ippove avana paakanum pola irukku. Achchu kissed her and said, " enakkum romba aasaiya irukku maa. Innum konja maasam thaan seriya? adhukku aparam nee enna kandukkave maate." She clung her bare body on to him and whispered, "Neenga thaan eppovume ennoda modhal kozhandai, valarndha kozhandai."  He hugged her tighter and took control of her lips for the rest of the night.

Brinda Subramanian