Part 58

Wedding preparations were on full swing

Wedding preparations were on full swing. Both Manikandan and Radhu had been very busy and Radhu could finally take a month's break just before the wedding. Manikandan and Radhu met at the window and Radhu was about to shut it. He said, "Yen maa ippidi pannarey. Aathukku thaan varapdadhu nu rule potutaa. Indha jannal vazhiyavudhu Unna  paarkalaamna adhayum moodariye maa. Unakke nyayama?" Radhu giggled and replied, "Kalyanam aagara varaikkum maapillaiyum ponnum oruthar oruthara paarka pdaadham. Konjam porungo." He smirked and said, "Naan madhal gudhichu ungathukku varuvene." She replied, "aasaiya paaru. Ella maamavum maamiyum palakkad lerndhu vandhu vaasa padiliye ukkandhu irukka. Onnum nadakkadhu. Neengal angeye ukkandhu moodina jannal aa paarungo. Naan poren" and she tried to pull the shutter when he yelled, "Eiii iru iru iru" he blinked and said, "adhu varaikkum Unna kannukullaye vachukaren." She blushed and then before shutting the window she too blinked.

The kalyana mandapam was buzzing with people. Children were running around playing. Aunties in pattu saree were seated in groups chatting. The priest was on the stage preparing for the upcoming events and yelling to his assistant. Radhu was getting ready. She looked beautiful in a green silk saree with red border. Her hair was nicely plaited and adorned with flowers. Sivu walked in with a jewelry box. She took out the necklace and placed it on her neck before bringing the clasp together. Radhu said, "Enna chithi idhellam. Neenga yen idhellam pannarel?" Sivu shushed her saying, "Naanga thaane tharavaathu kudukarom. Nee Chumma iru. Kalyana ponnu kazhuthula necklace illadhikki eppidi. Kaiya kaatu" and she put two gold bangles on each hand followed by the Bengali red and white bangles too. Then she smiled and said, "Ippo thaan kalyana ponnu madiri irukkey." She placed her hand on her, very pregnant stomach, feeling a kick from the baby. Just then Aishu papa came running in. Her grandparents had taken care of getting a dressed in a blue and pink pattu pavadai and a pink blouse. Her hair was pulled up into a fountain pony tail with a tiny string on jasmine around. She had kajal in her eyes and tiny bindhi. She was wearing a little jhimiki, two bangles and of course her golusu. "Amma, chitha enna paati dress panni vitta. Naan azhaga irukena?" she asked and hugged her mother. Radhu pulled her towards her and kissed her cheeks and said, "Romba azhaga laddoo madiri irukkai di kondhey." Aishu was satisfied and ran out the door screaming, "Babaaa Babaaa." She found him near the priest so she ran up to him and he automatically picked her up. She pulled his cheeks for him to look at her and said, "Baba naan eppidi irukken chollungo?" He kissed her and said, "Ennoda bommaikutty eppovume azhagu di chellam." She giggled and he let her down. She tugged on him and said,"Baba neengalum jammunu irukkel" and did a wink at him which made him laugh.

Meanwhile, Sivu stepped outside when she found Manikandan trying to peek inside Radhu's room. Sivu caught his ears and hummed, "Maraindhirundhu paarkum marumam yenna? Azhagar malai azhaga andha silai azhaga" changing the lyrics to andha instead of indha. Manikandan blushed not knowing what to say. Sivu placed her hands on her hips and said, "Mapillai konjam poruthukkongo. Innum konja nerathula Aval unga pondaati ayiduval. Adhukku aparam neengal kaalam fulla avala rasichinde irukalaam seriya?" Manikandan blushed profusely but just then someone came looking for him. Sivu laughed at him and went on with her work.

Soon the sound of nadaswaram indicated that the show was on. Kaasiyathrai began where the mapillai decides to leave everything and go away but he is stopped by the brides father promising his daughter's hand in marriage. Achchu brought Manikandan back to where, finally, he got the first glimpse of his extremely gorgeous bride. She was the most beautifully bride and Manikandan heart skipped a beat. Radhu was blushing and shyly looking down. When it was time to exchange the garland their eyes met. They looked at each other with utmost gratitude and blinked together on last time before exchanging the garlands. The mami's started singing in unison the "Maalai maathinaal kodhai maalai maathinaal" song and some even got creative and changed kodhai to Radhai. Then  the bride and groom were seated on the swing and were fed milk and banana. Aishu plopped right next to Radhu on the swing. Then they were taken back inside and the koora podavai was handed over to Radhu. She went back in and changed into the maroon color saree in the madisaar style.

This was the most crucial moment of the wedding. The priest instructed the bride to sit on her father's lap. This was extremely overwhelming for Radhu. Even though she had never met her father, she immensely missed him but she looked up at Achchu who was smiling at her with utmost fondness. She smiled back and sat on his lap. Manikandan was handed the thaali which was taken around to be blessed by all the elders. He took it towards Radhu and with the sound of "Getti melam getti melam" from the priest, Manikandan tied the yellow thread around Radhu's neck. People blessed the couple by throwing the akshadai and petal of flowers on them. He tied the first knot and his cousin sister tied the second and the third knot. Radhu's body was shaking. Tears were flowing down her cheeks. Manikandan cupped her face and she looked up. He wiped her tears and whispered, "I love you aathukaari" which made her blush and laugh.

Everybody were congratulating not only them but also the parents. People walked up to Sulo saying, "Maatuponnu vandhaachu" and to Chachu saying, "Maapillai vandhaachu." Everyone were rejoicing.

After all the excitement, they were all relaxing when Periappa came up to Sivu and asked, "Prasavathukku eppo vaarai?" Sivu looked up at Achchu and they smiled at each other. Then she replied, " Periappa indha dharam naan avara vittu vara maaten. Calcutta la hospital la thaan indha kozhandai porakka podhu. Amma vayum Appa vayum kaiyoda kootindu porom." Aishu screamed in joy, "Thatha paati thatha paati thaatha paati jolly"

Brinda Subramanian