Part 35

The only was to describe Darjeeling was "Heaven on earth". Achchu and Sivu got off the train late afternoon. It was still a little brisky and Sivu rubbed her arms where she felt goose bumps. She heard the voice of the masala chai vendor and looked up at Achchu. He smiled back and gestured to the guy to get them 2. The chai was served in an earthen pot and was steaming hot. Sivu blew on it and took a sip of the famous Darjeeling tea. She held the cup for warmth. Just then they heard a voice, "Anando sir, Anando sir, namasthe saab. Safar Teek tha?(Was the travel fine) chollo chollo guest house chollo (let's go to the guest house)"

Adheer was a young, energetic man in his 20's. He was the guesthouse in charge. He bowed to Achchu and Sivu and grabbed their luggage to the Jeep. He smiled at Sivu and said, "Bhaabhi welcome to Darjeeling". He seemed cheerful and excited to have them over. It was a 25 min drive up hill and it was the most gorgeous scenery. Sivu hummed, "Valaindu nelindhu pogum paathai mangai mooga koondhalo, mayangi mayangi sellum vellum paruva naana oodalo" Achchu looked back at her and smiled. She was totally mesmerized by nature's beauty and he, in hers. His heart skipped a beat when he saw her hold the shawl tighter when she felt a cold breeze. The wind was blowing her hair and she was trying to blow it away. It was the cutest this to watch and he was lost in her. She caught his looking at her and said, "Yenna yen pakkarel? Velila paarungo. Azhaga rasingo" and pat came his reply, "adhu thaan maa pannaren." She blushed but looked away with a smile.

They reached the guest house and a young lady, barely 18, came running. That was Poonam, Adheer's wife. She was a skinny young lady with a beaming smile. They had been recently married and very much in love. You could see it in the way the spoke to each other. The girl said, "Namasthe bhaiya, namasthe bhaabhi. Aayiye aayiye." She quickly grabbed the bag from her husband and ran inside. She placed it in the large bedroom. The guesthouse was very clean. Adheer and his wife occupied the small room adjacent to the kitchen. There were 4 bedrooms totally. There were bathrooms and toilets attached to each of the bedrooms. The hallway was huge with high ceilings. Poonam came and knocked at their door. She quickly covered her head with her pallu and said, "Bhaabhi chai laaon?" (Can I bring some chai) Sivu was happy to get another cup of tea so she nodded. Poonam flashed a big smile and quickly ran into the kitchen. She came back in a few minutes with chai and namkeen and placed it on the end table. She stood there waiting for them to take a sip. Sivu took a sip and said, "Hmmm.... Bahut achcha" and Poonam smiled in pride, nodded a yes and ran away, giving them their privacy. Achchu and Sivu sat at the verandah attached to their bedroom and enjoyed the chai and the gorgeous view. Achchu was standing to get a full view. Sivu joined him and stood beside him. Just then a whiff of wind gently touched them and Sivu shuddered. Achchu immediately wrapped his arm around her shoulder and pulled her closer. She wrapped her arms around his waist and they looked at each other lovingly. He quickly pecked her forhead and continued to enjoy the view.

As it was getting colder, the went back into the room to freshen up. Just then Adheer came in and knocked at the door, even though their door was wide open, "Saab andhar aaon?" (Can I come inside). Achchu said, "aajao aajao." He walked in with his arms folded and said, "saab, bhabi aaj gaaon mein Radha kisan ka mela hai. Shyam ko naach gaana bhi hain. Aap aayenge tho log khush ho jayenge. Bahuth mazaa ayega. Aayiye naa?" (There is a Radha Krishna song and dance by the villagers tonight, please join us." Sivu was very excited. She had always loved music, dance and drama. Before Achchu could say anything, she ran to him, grabbed his hand and said, "polaam polaam. Idhu ellam namakku paarke kedakkadhu. Seri nu sollungolen." He smiled at her adorably and said, "Naan eppo ma unkitta vendaam nu soleerken ippo sollardhukku. Polaam." She squealed and jumped. Adheer also clapped happily and made an announcement to his wife and ran out the door to let the villagers know.

(To be continued....)

Brinda Subramanian

Will try to write another chapter later today. Kai valikkidhu 😩