Part 57

Manikandan had returned after his internship and had the MBBS behind his name. Radhu was returning from college and was surprised to see Manikandan standing on his porch. Her face lit up and she ran towards his house. As soon as she got closer he blinked. She blushed and asked, "Eppo vandhel?" He smiled and said, "Inniki thaan. Naan ippo Dr. Manikandan" he said raising his color. She giggled and said, "Seri Doctor. Eppidi irukkel. Romba elachupoittele. Oru varungaala Doctor a nenachu romba uruginelo?" she asked mischievously. He was shocked by her direct flirting and tried to grab her hand but she ran saying, "Apparama varen." He smiled and turned around blushing, only to be caught by Sulo, "Dei romba ashadu vazhiyardhu da Kanna. Aval unakku thaan da. Ippo nee vandachu avaloda attahaasamum thaangadhu. Unga rendu perukkum kalyanam panni kudukarathukulla enna praandhu aaspathiri ku anupidaadhengo". He hugged his mom smiling.

Meanwhile, Rajan wanted Manikandan to complete his post graduation as well and pick a specialization. Radhu had dropped in to chat with him. He said, "Eppidi pordhu classes ellam? Naan illadhikki eppidi pass paninai" he smirked. She glared at him and said, "Ungaloda thondharavu illiadhikki first class la pass panninen theriyuma? Romba peethikaadhengo" and they both laughed. He sighed looking at her lovingly and said, "Nee en kannukulaye irundhe theriyuma. Ethanayo naalikki ellathayum vittitu un kitta odi varalaama nu thoneerku aana nee enna nenachu peruma padara madiri oru aala naan eppovum irukkanum nu aasa padaren. Adhunaala thaan ennala anga irukka mudinjudhu." She smiled and came closer to him, " enakku eppovume ungala nenacha perumaiya thaan irukkum. Enakkum appidi thaan. Neengal enna pathi naalu per kitta pesumbodhu perumaya sollanum nu aasai." They held hands and stood there together. That's when Radhu happened to glance at her window and saw Chachu standing there and looking at them in shock. Radhu immediately let go of Manikandan's hand. He realized what had happened.

Radhu went home to a very upset Chachu, "Dee Radhu, nee chinna vayasulerndhu doctor aaganum nu aasa pattu ippo paduchundu iruukai. Manikandan nalla pullai thaan. Ava romba nalla kudumbam. Aana idhellam namakku seri pattu varadhu kondhey. Ungalukku kalyanatha panni vitudarom." Radhu held her mom's hand and said, "Ayyo amma nee bayandhukara madiri ellam onnum illai ma. Avarum specialization panna poraar maa. Enakkum oru doctor aana aparam thaan kalyanam panikkanum. Enakku indha varsham mudinju 1 1/2 years internship irukku. Adhukulla kalyanam vendaam maa" but Chachu was adamant but  Manikandan's parents and Chachu came to an agreement that they will do a small engagement ceremony with just the two families for now and then get them married when they are ready.

Rajan and Sulo made arrangements for the engagement and all the mama's were invited from Palakkad. Periappa, as usual, was unhappy with the whole proposal, "Idhu engeyum kanduttum illai kettuttum illai. Nammal ellam kalyanathukku minnaltha naan oru nischayadartham pannuvom. Idhu edhukku rendu varsham minnaleye. Sivakaami oruthi othakaal la ninnu ippo ennavo ava aambadayan teacher udhyogathukku anupeerkaan. Ival Doctor ku paduchu ennatha panna pora?" Radhu kept quiet when Manikandan politely said, "illai mama. Aval kalyanathukku aparam practice thaan panna poraa. Ippodhaikku Appa oda clinic a Aval paathupal. Naan orthopedics speacialty panna poren. Inge Trivandrum hospital liye velai pannalaamnu irukkun. Avalum specialization pannanum nu mudivu edutha naangal sandoshama avala padikka veppom. Neengal kavala padaadhengo" and he smiled at Radhu. Periappa frowned, "Nammatha ponnugallum thaan thoniya irukku vara maapillaigalum avaalodu aatathukku aala nikkaraa." Everyone decided to ignore Periappa and the priest proceeded to read the engagement pathirigai saying, "Rajan um Sulochana vum engaloda pudhalvan Manikandanukku Saraswathi oda ponnu Radhika va kalyanam panni kudukka muthava ellarodum munnilaila sammadham therivikkarom" and they exchanged the thambulam. An orange and green silk saree was given to Radhu and a pattu veshti and shirt was given from the girl's family to Manikandan. Chachu finally had a big bright smile on her face. Manikandan got her blessing and told her, "Naan ungala ennaki athai nu koopda thodangineno annike ennoda manasula Radhu edam pudichachu. Indha nischayathartham ellam ungaloda nimmadhikku thaan. Radhu thaan ennoda pondaati."

Chachu blessed him and Radhu and they went together to get the blessings of all the elders. Even though they were engaged, they never misused their freedom. They waited for their time. She became a graduate with MBBS following her name and he had an additional degree MBBS MD. He became the most favorite orthopedic specialist is a short period of time. Radhu, on the other hand, decided to give her soon-to-be father in law a break and became a general practitioner at his clinic.

It was finally time for the two to get married.

Brinda Subramanian