East and West

Aishu had always wanted a small wedding in CBE. Aishu and Adu's favourite summer vacation spot was CBE, while growing up. Almost every year they used to visit until they grew to be teenagers and started exploring other activities. About 10 years ago, Vijayam passed away after being sick for a few months. Achchu and Sivu flew right away but, due to exams. Aishu and Adu were unable to join. In spite of begging Narayanan to accompany them to Calcutta, he refused saying, in his heart, his Vijayam still lived in the house. Everything reminded him of her. So Achchu and Sivu left reluctantly, after  Achchu's friend Govindan promised to watch over him.

Achchu went to visit Narayanan every couple of months but noticed that his dad was not the same. He looked older every time, he spoke less, stopped making and drinking coffee. He spent hours in the garden area. They had all gone back to CBE for Vijayam's first year puja and they witnessed Narayan crying through it all. Even when the kids insisted, Narayanan refused to go along with them to Calcutta. A couple of months later, Achchu got a call from the neighbor saying, Narayanan had stepped out of the house to grab the milk packet when he suddenly collapsed right at the front door. Ambulance was called but he died on the way to the hospital. It was a massive heart attack. Since then Aishu and Adu did not want to go back there. Fortunately, Sivu's dad had retired and was willing to shift to CBE to take care of the house. They had visited Calcutta a few times over the years but age had now caught on with them as well. Kids had moved to different cities for higher education etc.

Now they were all excited to have the wedding in CBE per Aishu's wishes. Also she wanted Joseph and his family to have the experience of a small town. They were going to be in India for just 10 days. Achchu and Sivu took a month's time off and left for CBE to get everything started. Sivu's parents had already booked the wedding hall and had got the ball rolling.  Achchu's family guest house was cleaned up for the visitors from America. Aishu decided to land in chennai where Adu was going to meet with her and then they drove to CBE. Adu had taken a month off as well. They had about two weeks before the Cohen family arrived.

Meanwhile, Radhu and Manikandan knew that they had to be there in CBE at least for 5 days, from Nandi function up to kattu chadam. So they were busy getting their schedules taken care of and re-assigning it to the other staff.  Radhu yelled to her 17 year old daughter, Gayathri, "Dee Gayu, ennadi idhu eppovum phone a nondeendu. Nammal CBE ku pogaporom. 5 naal ange iruppom. Venangardhu ellam eduthu vachukko. Adhukku aparam ange vandhu adhu illai idhu illai nu ennoda pranana vaangadhe." Gayathri, who was trying to listen to some music, rolled her eyes yelling back, "Ayo amma. Idhoda nee 10 theram choliyachu maa. Actually enakku kalyathukku ellam varathukke mood illai but escape panna mudiyadhe. Enna pannardhu. Adhu seri, Gokul kitta chonniya?" Manikandan and Gokul, their 19 year old son, just walked into the house asking in unison, "Ennadhu chonniya?" Gayu jumped up seeing a familiar bag in her dad's hand, "haiii halwa va Appa? Amma edhu kalyanuthu porom chonnaley. Enna maathram thiteendu irukka adhu thaan indha Gokul paithyathukku theriyuma nu ketten" she proceeded to indulge in the halwa while Gokul smacked her head for calling him paithiyam and then tried to get a bite of the halwa, which she refused.

It was a 8 hours drive from Trivandrum to CBE. Manikandan and Gokul took turns to drive and they reached their hotel by evening. The hotel was just a few blocks from Achchu's house. Radhu and Manikandan decided not to disturb them in the evening. They planned to visit in the following morning. They all freshened up and quickly ate some dinner. Gayathri sat on the bed, looked at Radhu and asked, "Amma enakku avaala theriyuma? Naan paathirukena?" Radhu smiled at her and answered, "Haan nee chinnadha irunkkarthe vandhirukka. Adu ku or 10 vayasu irukkadthe vandha. Nee Avan pinnaliye chuthuvaai. Adi mama Adi mama nu. Unakku Adu cholla varadhu so nee maathram avana Adi nu koopduvaai." Gayu giggled and said, "Mama vaa? 10 vayasu pullai ya yen ma mama nu koopten?" Mani answered, "Adhu enna naa Adu oda amma Appa thaan unga Amma va thaara vaathu kudutha so ava Appa Amma sthanam illiya? Appo Adu amma oda thambi madiri, which means, unakku mama." Gayu continued to laugh but continued, "Aishu Chitti ya enakku ormai irukku. US pogarthukku minnale orukka vandhale illiya?" She confirmed. Radhu agreed then said, "Seri thoongu ippo. Naalikki nertha ezhudhirundhu avaathukku poganum. Nandi irukku." They all agreed and were also tired so they all went off to sleep almost immediately.

Next morning, Gayu woke up to the hustle bustle. Her parents were dressed up and ready. She was the last in line. Gokul said, "Gayu geyser pottu 10 nimisham aachu. Poi seekirama kulichuttu vaa." Gayu quickly rushed and showered and changed.her thoughts were stuck to Adi mama wondering how he would be now. She was quiet eager to see everyone, especially him.

They took a quick walk to the house. They could hear some Carnatic music already from a house before. As they walked in Sivu and Radhu squealed in excitement, at the sight of each other. Achchu smiled welcoming them. Aishu was entertaining her soon to be in-laws who were promptly introduced to the doctor couple. Sivu's parents were thrilled to see Radhu, Manikandan and the kids as well. The kids quickly took blessings from the grandparents. Gayu's eyes though was wandering to get a glimpse of Adi mama. As though reading her mind, Sivu said, "Adu pinnala kolla pakkathula irukkan. Vaashal la thoranam katanas illiya adhukku vazhai ya eppidi kattardhu nu paakaran." Gayu slowly sneaked to go to the backyard. There he was.

The moment she saw him she felt butterflies in her stomach

The moment she saw him she felt butterflies in her stomach. Although she stood there silently, he must have realized a pair of magnetic eyes looking at him. He looked up and, literally, his heart skipped a beat. She was the most gorgeous girl he had seen. Her eyes pierced his heart and, for a moment, he forgot to breathe.

She automatically blushed when their eyes met and she quickly walked back in

She automatically blushed when their eyes met and she quickly walked back in. She whispered to her mom, "Amma Adi mama semma hot maa." Radhu glared at her in shock. Gayu winked at her and gave her mom a quick kiss on her cheek.

Fun had just begun!

Brinda Subramanian