Instigators

Radhu and Manikandan did not have to wail long for the questions to start. It was their first wedding anniversary and they were taking blessings from Sulo and Rajan. That's where it started. Sulo blessed them saying, "Ammadi Radhu. Kalyanam aagi oru varsham aayachu. Seekirama oru perano pethiyo pethu kuduthuttu Neenga aaspathiri adhu idhu nu paathukkunga. Kozhandhaiya naan paathukaren. Seriya?" Radhu quickly glanced at Manikandan and he cleared his throat and said, "Amma ippo kozhandhaiku enna avasaram. Aval specialty mudichudattum. Adhukku aparam paathukalaamnu naan thaan chonnen. Adhellam nadakkartha nadakkum amma." Although Sulo wasn't happy with the answer, she did not say much.

Radhu started with her course and got extremely busy. However, she started feeling comfortable enough to go to Manikandan more often for hugs and kisses. She was starting to enjoy his touches more and started to feel more secure about it but there was always a problem when they went to a function together. Random uncles and aunties either came up to them directly asking, "Kalyanam aagi oru varsham ayacho illiyo? Eppo kozhandhai pethukka porel?" Radhu noticed Manikandan always making up an excuse on her behalf.

Two years flew by and Radhu finished her specialty and was officially an OB GYN. She was fortunate enough to do rounds with the most experienced doctor in the hospital who trusted Radhu, right from the beginning to examine the patient's. Radhu was a natural. She was more than a doctor. She was kind, gentle and understanding. The patient's felt comfortable with her quickly and easily and Radhu's mentor trusted her completely. Her patient's were anywhere from 18-40 year olds. Some were first timers and for some, it was an yearly ritual. She got to meet different types of husbands too. The loving, caring one's to the nervous wrecks to the most selfish one's. Radhu started to see what it meant for these women to be a mother. She saw the joy in their eyes when she confirmed their pregnancy to, the excitement to see their baby grow. She also some heartbreaks when they lost their baby in a miscarriage. Radhu's biological clock was starting to tick too.

Manikandan had not once crossed the line by discussing it again with her nor had he physically tried anything for her to feel he was pushing her. This particular day was a little different. They had to go to attend a wedding of Manikandan's friend's younger brother. When they went there, his friend welcomed them along with his wife and their 10 month old baby. Manikandan quickly gravitated towards the baby, who jumped up to him as well. Radhu noticed what a natural he was. He held on to the baby with tenderness. His eyes lit up but she noticed a sad yearning too. Radhu asked, "Ungalukku kozhandaigal na romba pudikkuma?" He nodded and said, "Romba. Naan neraya yosichirukken. Namakku oru ponnu aparam oru pulla kozhandhai porakkanum. Andha kozhandaigalukkagave naan ellam pannanum. Ava aasai padardhu ellam oru appa va..." he stopped himself and looked and Radhu and smiled, "Adhellam onnum illai Radhu. Vidu. Nee edhuvum yosikkadhe." Then he proceeded to play with the baby. It broke Radhu's heart to see him like that.

Just that the baby's grandma approached them to take the baby and said, "Mani eppidi irukke? Vaa vaa. Ennadhu ennoda perana vachundu irukke? Unakkum rendu varshathukku mela aayachu. Nee eppo Appa aaga porai? Radhukku edhavudhu prachanai ya?" She whispered. He handed the baby to her and said, "Oru prachanaiyum illai mami. Naan thaan konjam wait pannalaamnu chonen. Seri engalukku hospital ku poganum. Naanga kelambarom."

Radhu went straight to the hospital. The morning's episode had given her a jolt. As soon as she reached the chamber her mentor said, "Radhu en kooda vaa. Inniki nee delivery paarka porey. Unnoda first time. Ithana naaliki pregnant patient's a thaane paathaai. Vaa." Radhu quickly got herself ready for what was coming. Her patient had been in labor for over 15 hours. Unfortunately, the baby was in breach position. The mother was tired. The mentor showed Radhu how to move the baby's position so the head could be turned towards the birth canal. It was a painful process for the mom but she looked at Radhu with a lot of trust. This patient had had 3 miscarriages and was her only hope. She was scared and so was Radhu. After a few more hours of struggle, finally the delivery was successful. Radhu held the baby boy is her arms for the very first time. The baby was crying loudly and so was the mom. She looked at Radhu with gratitude and thanked her for saving her and her baby. Radhu placed the baby on the mom's chest and cut the umbilical cord. Radhu was going through a lot of emotions but she kept a profession conduct. She congratulated the new parents and left the ward. She was tired and emotional. She cleaned up and went home.

She walked right into the bedroom to find Manikandan reading a book. She walked right up to him with tears in her eyes and said, "Enakku venum." He looked at her confused, "Enna venum?" She hugged him and started kissing him saying," inniki kaarthale neenga sonnadhu. Oru ponnu kozhandhai oru pulla kozhandhai. Adhellam enakku venum. Unga kooda sagajama ellame pannanum. Enakku Neenga venum." He could not believe his ears. He kissed her back and she smiled. "Nejama thaan sollariya? Kozhandhai venumna enna pannnanum nu theriyum liya?" She smacked him gently and said, "Neengal oru gynec kitta pesarel ortho sir. Enakku ellam theriyum. Enakku Adhellam venum. Enakku innime bayam illai. Neenga enna hurt panna maatel enakku theriyum" she said slowly taking off his shirt. He smiled and grabbed her waist then gently reaching places he hadn't and she responded pleasurably.

Manikandan's compassion, love and patience finally paid off.

Brinda Subramanian