Part 45

Within a couple of days, Radhu had a group of friends with whom she started walking to and from college. When Manikandan found this out on the 3rd day, he was heartbroken. He had stepped out of the house, ready to walk with her to college but was shock to see Indrani at her doorstep. The two girls were about to leave to college. Radhu were her slippers and turned to look at her mom and said, "Poitu varen maa" and blinked both eyes. Sulo happened to be there to witness this. Once Radhu left, Sulo asked Chachu, "Adhu enna poitu varen nu cholittu kanna chimittina?" Chachu smiled and said, "Avalukku kozhandhailerndhu andha pazhakkam. Ennoda moonjiya paathu chimittina andha mooji kannu kullaye irukkumaam. Appi naal full aa adha orma vachupalaam." Sulo nodded. Manikandan's mind voice said, "adhu seri. Enakki nammala paathu chimittuvalo. Dei college ku pora vazhiya paaru da paithiya kaara." He smacked his own head and off he went to college.

Although he was in the 4th year, he sometimes lectured as a senior student for one particular subject. So he happened to teach one of her class that day. Indrani whispered to Radhu, "Radhu, enna oru bhangi alle? Ayoo enikki valara ishtam aayi". After class there were a bunch of girls who tried to get close to him with an excuse of asking doubts. Radhu was feeling a pang of jealousy. She glared at him which he saw. He wanted to tell her that he did nothing wrong but she walked away.

The next day, Manikandan and his father were sitting in the hall reading the newspaper. Father was reading the politics section while the son was reading sports. Sulo walked in with two cups of coffee and handed it to them. She sat next to her husband and said, "yenna, inge paarungolen, naan onnu yosichen. Navarathri varadhu illiya? Nammathula eppovum golu ku vara oru kanniga ponnukku podavai vachu kuduppome, Saraswathi poonai annikkum, Vidya arambathanaikkum. Indha varsham andha rendu podavayum namma pakathathu Radhu ku kudukalaam nu irukken. Andha kozhandhai oru 4 podavaiyum dhavaniyum maathi maathi pottundu pora paavam." Manikandan's ears puckered up. Although he was looking at the news paper, his ears were all for what his mother was saying.

Rajan cleared his throat and said, "unakku enna thonardho pannu. Enkitta Edhukku indha samachaaram ellam kekkarai. Locker la paisa irukku. Eduthundu poi enna venamo vaangu." Sulo smiled and said, "Appo inniki town ku kooteendu porela? Aval chinna ponnu. Chinna pongal kattikara madiri nalladha vaanganum illiya?" Rajan said, "Enakku inniki hospital poganam rendu surgery irukke maa." Just that Manikandan jumped in, "adhunaala enna maa, naan kooteendu poren." Sulo was pleasantly surprised, "Dei nejama va da? Nee idhukonnum othukave maatiye? Ippo enna dhideernu? Seri seri nee manasu maaradhukulla poitu varalaam vaa" she said happily.

Mother and son, went saree shopping and she was surprised to see him being very active in selecting the sarees. They ended up getting 3 instead of two. Sulo was very happy that he had helped. Once they reached home Sulo kept the sarees in and went out near the fence and yelled out, "Radhu, Radhu". Radhu came running, "Chollungo mami." Sulo said, "Radhu, inniki sayangaalam aathula golu vekka porom. Naaliki thodangardhu illiya. Unakku samayam irundha vaayen? Ungalukku pazhakkam illai nu theriyum." Radhu was more than happy to help out. She loved anything to do with decorations.

Radhu promptly arrived after finishing her work at home. The 7 shelves were put up by Manikandan and the white cloth over it. As soon as Sulo saw Radhu, she said, "Vandiya maa. Andha bommaiya Avan kittendhu vaangi andha meltha padi la vai. Enakku kaal marathu pochu. Radhu quickly went to grab the doll from Manikandan's hand. He had a smile in his face and while handing the doll, moved his thumb to touch her finger. She blushed instantly and that's exactly what he wanted. Soon they got all the dolls arranged. Radhu was trying very hard to avoid eye contact but she couldn't. The moment she looked up, he gestured a "sorry". He looked like a cute little puppy and she automatically blinked.

Brinda Subramanian