Part 29

Sivu had the most glorious four days in CBE with her in-laws. Just like all good things have to come to an end, it was time for them to leave. Sivu and Achchu got the blessings of their parents and started to load their luggage into the taxi trunk. There was an extra box full of snacks. Vijayam had made kaimurukku, then kuzhal, kadala urundai, Mysore pak, peruvalangai and thattai. Along with all that, she had also packed mango thokku, vadu maanga and naarthangai. Sivu was teary eyes and so was Vijayam. Sivu said, "Neengalum enga kooda vaangolen." Vijayam touched her cheeks and responded, "Ippo ange winter. Engalukku thanuppu thaangadhu. Veyil kaalathula varom. Oorukku pora nerathula azhadhe" and she wiped her tears.

The train journey to Chennai was uneventful. Their compartment was filled with a North Indian family who kept to themselves. Plus, the train was in the night so both Achchu and Sivu quickly fell asleep. The next morning the reached chennai. Achchu had booked the family compartment from Chennai to Calcutta. These were closed compartments usually for a family of 4. It had a door that you could close for privacy purposes. Tickets were slightly pricier for these but he had done it anyway. Sivu was thrillled. Once they settled down and the train started to move, Sivu smiled and asked him, "Paramapadam vilayadalaama?" He smiled but was confused. She giggled and said, "Irungo varen." She opened up her bag and pulled out a small box. She opened it and pulled out a piece of folded paper and placed it on the seat. Then she pulled out two seashells. One was plain while and the other had brown designs in it. Then there were two metal sticks. The paper said "Paramapadha shobana Padam". This was nothing other than snakes and ladder. Shells were the coins and the metal sticks were the dice. Achchu smiled and said, "O velayadalaame aana oru condition." She frowned, "enna condition" He smirked and said, "Thothavaa jeichavaalukku oru kiss tharanam, ok va?" She glared at him, "Neenga irkele seriyana KD aakum."

Then she excitedly set it all up. The first person who gets a 6 on the dice would start playing, hence they started and going up the latter excitement and down the snake dejection continued for a fine with Achchu winning the first round. He insisted that she kiss him. She refused saying she will not do it in public. "Maa namba seat ku yaarum varanum maata, paakanum maata maa. Adhunaala nee ippo enakku kudukka poriya illiya?" She sighed and gave him a quick peck urgently. He was amused at her predicament.

The train trip was a lot of fun playing lots of different games, eating snacks, singing songs etc. Finally the train stopped with a long screech and a jerk. Achchu and Sivu stepped out to experience the cold Calcutta winter. A coolie came running to them and lead them towards the taxi stand. They quickly grabbed the closest one. Sivu was shivering in cold. It took about 40 mins to reach home. The driver helped them with the luggage but Sivu found a huge package waiting outside her door. As soon as the entered, the dropped the luggage, thanked the driver and Sivu, curiously, opened the package and squealed in excitement, "Vandaachu Vandaachu ennoda study material vandhaaachuuu" she screamed. She then pulled the first book out and placed it in the Swamy room. Then she quickly had a shower. Achchu told her to just keep some rice. He was going to get the sambar etc from Komala villas for the day. She could begin her regular schedule the following day.

Sivu readily agreed since her focus was completely on undoing the package. After freshening up, Achchu grabbed a tiffin carrier and went over to get food. When he returned, he found Sivu, sitting on the floor with a couple of her books working on a problem, intensely. She had not even noticed him.

Brinda Subramanian