Part 42

Radhu was anxious about her first day of college life. She had a very restless night. It wasn't just because of college but the commute to college as well. She was up early. Krishnan mama had gifted her a saree and had asked her to wear it to college on her first day. Chachu had already stitched the blouse and it was ready. She wore the beautiful cotton saree. She had washed her hair so she plaited it loosely. She grabbed the jasmine string which was placed on the Bhagavathy picture and kept it in her hair. Just when she has finished applying kajal and was drawing a long bindi on her forehead with the shingar liquid chandhu, they heard a voice outside. "Athai, Athai". Radhu burst into a giggle, "Ivar oruthar athai athai nundu". Chachu smacked her and went out to the front, "Vaa Manikanda ulla vaa." He smiled and said, "Illai aparama varen. Radhika ready ya? Kelambalama?" Just then she stepped out. She looked like an angel and his jaw dropped. He quickly realized what he was doing and cleared his throat. Radhu wore her slippers and then looked up at her mom saying, "Amma poitu varen" and they started walking.

They were walking quietly and it was too awkward. Radhu's mind voice was driving her crazy,"Ayo edhavudhu pesu dee. Ippidiye pesama vandha ennavo madiri irukku. Nenju padapadakardhu avarukku kekumo?" Then both of them cleared their throat at the same time and burst out laughing. He said, "Nee eppovume pesamaatiya illai en kooda pesa maatengariya?" She blushed and said, "Illai naan vala vala nu naraya pesuven aan ungala paatha ennavo madiri irukku." He looked at her in shock, "Ennavo madiri na? Bayama irukka?" She smiled, still without looking up, "Illai bayam illai aana vayathu kulla ennavo pannardhu." He stopped right there. She too stopped confused and looked back at his face, finally. He smiled and said, "Ippo paakare paathiya? Adhu maadiri ennoda moonji ya paathu pesu. Naan onnum puliyo singamo illai. Unna kadikka maaten." She giggled blushing and said, "Puli singam ellam enakku bayam illai. Unagala thaan paaka mudiyala." He smirked.

Soon they entered the college and just like he said, there was ragging going on. She saw a couple of girls crying and she slowly walked closer to him but no one dared to approach her. He pointed to the first floor and said, "Adho ange thaan unnoda classes. Indha oru vaarathukku students oda peru door la irukkum. Nee check panikko. Friends pudichukko. College life enjoy pannu. All the best Dr. Radhika." He beamed a smile and walked away and she felt butterflies in her stomach and heart, "Dr. Radhika, kekka va ethara nanna irukku. Adhuvum avar koral la kekkarcha adhu ennavo pannardhu" she blushed. She quickly recovered from it and went in to her class room. She picked the first row along with two other girls, who seem nice, Indrani and Sarojini. From get go they knew that they were going to bond over the years.

At the end of the day, Manikandan met her right where he had dropped her. He invited her with a smile. She walked up to him and he said, "first day eppidi pochu? Friends kedachaala?" She smiled and nodded, "O romba nanna irukka lecturers ellame. Ennoda bench la Indrani aparam Sarojini nu rendu pera friend pudichen. Oru ponnu hostel la irundhu padikkaraalaam." He nodded at the knowledge received and started walking home. He made sure she was on the pavement side although there weren't many motor vehicles then. He then said, "Unakku edhavudhu sandeham irundha enkitta kettuko. Naan help pannaren." She looked up confused, "Sandeham aa? Edha pathi?" He quickly corrected himself, "Illa Radhu... Radhika, paadatha pathi sonen. Paadathula sandeham irundha eppo venum naalum enkitta kettuko." She looked confused, "Paadathula sandeham na professor kitta thaane kekanum? Ungakitta edhukku?" He sighed heavily. Smacked the back of his own head and said, "Aamam correct. Nee professor kitteye kettuko." She smiled and nodded in agreement and he rolled his eyes.

They reached home and went about with their usual routine. After dinner, Radhu had some reading to do so she went up to the study room and sat at her desk to take down some notes. The curtains were closed. While she was studying the wind blew blowing the curtain towards her face. She immediately looked up and that's when she noticed Manikandan sitting at his desk studying as well. She did not know until then, that he wore glasses while reading. Radhu noticed the clean shaven man with glasses, his hair well combed with a slight vibuthi on his forehead. He looked so incredibly handsome. She was smiling without realizing that she was lost in him. Suddenly he looked up and caught a glance at her looking at him before she, quickly, looked away. Radhu smacked her head and told herself, "Ayyo naan seriyana prandhu. Naan paakardha avar paathirupaaro. Che naan yen ippidi Paathen. Ayyo Radhu enna di aachu unakku. Homework pannu dee paithiyakaari." He had caught her looking at him and that made him happy. He blushed and looked away, "Thiruttu thanama vaa paakurey Radhu? Nee paakardha naan paathutten. Seri naaliki parkshai irukuda dei. Nervous system la concentrate pannu da Manikanda."

Both Radhika and Manikandan were experiencing something new and it was beautiful.

Brinda Subramanian