Part 31

Sivu was happy with the way things were going with her studies. She was able to keep up with her schedule. Achchu has taken her to the university library for membership and she had brought home the reference books which helped her immensely. Achchu had returned from office and, as usual, they were having a conversation. Coffee time was always their catch up time. Sivu would, animatedly, tell him what she did the entire day and he would look at her in admiration and enjoy the conversation. "inniki ennachu theriyuma? Naan Lala kadai la poi arisi, paruppu ellam vaanga ponenna? Ange oru Nalini chechi Nalini chechi nu oruthara paathen." Achchu interrupted her saying, "Nalini chechi Nalini chechi nu oru thara rendu pera? Illai rendu vaati sonniye adhu naala ketten" and he laughed at his own joke while she gave him a glare and then proceeded, " ayooo, seri kelungo? Ava nammathu pinnala sandhu la thaan irukka. Inge sanikizhamai sayangalam 6 manikku bhajans nadakardhaam. Aparam masathula rendu nathi kezhamai Deshapriya park la anna danam pannaraalam. Nammalayam vara sonna. Naan unga kitta kettu sollaren nu sonnen. Nammalum polaame. Namma ooru karaala paatha madiriyum irukkum. Nalini chechi inge andha tram station pakkathula irukkara Andhra High school la principal aam. Romba nalla vaala therinja." Achchu listened to her and said, "Hmmm... polaame. Indha sanikezhamai poi paathuttu varalaam maa." Sivu jumped gleefully.

Saturday was a busy day. After having taken a couple of trips to the library, Sivu knew exactly how to go to get there but she still was holding on to Achchu to take the lead. She returned some books and borrowed a few. She tried to keep her weekends free so that she could spend more time with him. The Bhajan session in the evening was blissful and both of them felt at peace after the guided meditation that was done prior to singing.

A few week later, when Achchu was leaving for work, Sivu brought his lunch bag and chandanam, as usual and said, "Indha Sanikizhamai library ponom seriya?" Achchu kept a stern face and said, "Yen ellam sanikezhamaiku vachukarey? Unakku thaan eppidi ponamnu theriyume. Neeye sadharana naal la poitu vaa maa. Enakkum sila Saturday vum Sunday vum thaan kedakkardhu. Enna konjam free ya irukka vidamaatengare." Sivu was shocked by Achchu's response, "Enna ippidi pesarel? Naan eppidi thaniya pordhu?" she said in an irritated tone. So he answered back saying, "Idhu kooda va therila unakku? Nee enna chinna kozhandhaiya ellathukkum en kai ye pudichundu varadhukku? Unakku thona venumna Geeta didi ya kooteendu po. Sari enakku late ardhu naan kelambaren." She was fuming. She turned her face around refusing to look at him.

After her left she mumbled, "Enna ippidi pesitaarey. Ivar kooteendu polaina enna enakku poga theriyadha? Enna nenachundu irukaar indha manishan. Che. Kovama varudhu. Ivarukku kovam kooda varumnu ippo thaan theriyardhu. Ayyo naan vera veraapa pesitten. Ippo purse la paisa irukka nu theriliye" and she quickly went it to check her purse but was surprised to find more than enough money in it. She looked at it again confused, "Ivvalo panam engendhu vandhudhu? Oru nethakki kaigari vaangi chillarai thaane vachirundhen. Potadha marandhirupeno? Irukkum."

Meanwhile Achchu felt heartbroken the moment he stepped out of the house. He hated himself for being so harsh with her but he knew he had to do this in order for her to see how capable she was. He knew she would feel a lot more confident when she does it once. This first step was very important for her. Achchu had noticed that she only had some coins in her purse so he always liked to leave some money in it. Mostly he left some cash in the Swamy shelf but last night he made sure he left some in her purse. He hoped that his harsh tone was enough to push her.

Sivu got ready after lunch. She carried a cloth bag in which she carried the book she wanted to return. Then she grabbed her purse. She did a quick prayer, took a deep breath and stepped out. Tram station was barely a 10 min walk. She, hesitantly went to the counter and said, "Dada chowrangee lane ek ticket." then she stood in the platform for her tram. Her heart was beating fast and she was very nervous. The tram arrived and she got into the lady's compartment and found a window seat. She was fiddling with the ends of her saree's pallu. She was counting the station and watching the sign. The fourth satiation was where she needed to get off. After a few minutes, there it was. Her station had arrived. She got off and walked straight up the street. She smiled and was very proud of herself. She had reached the library all by herself. "Varattum avar sayangalam. Sollaren ennala thaniya vara mudiyum nu. Ennamo avar kooda varalena ennala onnume panna mudiyadha madiri enna thittitaare". She walked into the library confidently and returned her books before looking through for what she needed. She spent almost an hour there and then returned back home.

Sivu felt extremely proud and happy. Achchu returned from office and was ready for their coffee chats. Sivu brought the two cups of coffee and then slowly slid a plate of tharattipaal. He raised his eye brows and said, "Innikki enna visesham? Ennoda favourite sweet paneerke?" She smiled shyly and answered, "Visesham illai. Idhu unga kitta manippu kekardhukku. Naan ungala thappa nenachutten. Aparamma library ku poitu vandha aparam thaan purinjudhu indha maramandaikku. Ungalukku munnadiye theriyum liya?" He smiled and fed her a spoon of the sweet and said, "Enakku nannave theriyum unnala mudiyum nu. Unna vida jaasthi enakku un mela nambikka irukku maa. Unna thittarcha enakku eppidi kashtama irundhudhu theriyuma? Aana enakku vera vazhi theriyala. Aana ippo thaniya poitu vandhu unakku eppidi irukku? Deiriyama irukka?" Sivu smiled in excitement and placed her head on his shoulder. His arms went automatically around her proudly, pulling her closer to him.

Brinda Subramanian