Part 26

Sashtiapthapoorthi started with full swing, the following day. The hustle and bustle started before dawn. Achchu woke up to find Sivu missing again but she had left his clothes out. His brand new pattu veshti and a purple shirt was set out for him to wear. He quickly showered and changed before going down. People were running around getting stuff done. Raja Anna noticed Achchu and said, "Mapillai vaango. Jummunu irukkel. Kaapi kudichela?" Achchu smiled and nodded a no. Raja Anna yelled, "Mapillai ku yaaravudhu kaapi kondu vaango." Sivu appeared from inside and Achchu's heart skipped a beat. She looked gorgeous in a purple madisaar. She was wearing some extra jewelry and she looked drop dead gorgeous. The sindoor on her parted hair, bindi on her forhead, above which she had the chandanam. Her beatuful eyes were thinking with the jet black kajal. Hair adorned with jasmine. It was not until he heard her say, "mmm... glass a pidingo, enakku naraya velai irukku" he gasped and grabbed the cup. She quickly ran towards the Swamy area and came back with some chandanam in her finger and applied it on his forehead. He quickly held her hand and said, "Eppovum irukardha vida innikki innum azhaga irukkiye. Indha podava color unakku eppidi irukku theriyuma?" She blushed in embarrassment and said, "Ayyo en kaiya vidungo. Ellarum irukka. Ippidi asingama pannadhengo. Yaravudhu paaka pora" and struggled to pull her hand from his clutches when the heard Radhu clear her throat and say, "hmmm....naan onnume parkaliye. Enakku Kannum theriyalai kaadhum kekkalai" and she hummed, "thottal poo malarum thodaamal naan malarndhen." Sivu frowned at her and said, "Po di. Seriyana pinjula pazhuthadhu." Radhu ran giggling and Achchu let go off Sivu by handing her the empty coffee cup.

Friends and family from far and wide were gradually arriving. The homagundam was set up and Periappa and Periamma were all set for the 60th birthday ceremony. Chamayal mama had arrived with his crew who had occupied the additional kitchen which was on the back of the house. Raja Anna had spent lavishly and made this a grand affair. Soon Achchu's parents arrived too. They drove down from Coimbatore. Sivu ran out quickly to receive them along with Achchu, "Vaango Appa Vaango Amma. Vazhi kandu pidika onnum kashtam irukaliye?" Sivu's mother in law fondly patted her cheeks and asked, "Eppidi irukkai maa?"Sivu said, "o naan nanna irukken. Neengal eppidi irukkel? Odambukku viseshama onnum illiye." She led them in and found a comfortable spot for them to sit and said, "Irungo naan poi kaapi kondu varen." Her mother in law held on to her hands and said, "Iru maa kondhey naane varen. Unakku aayirathettu velai irukkum."

The function went very well, after which the banana leaves were spread out for lunch. The usual paruppu vadai, paal payasam, chakka pradhaman, rice, ghee, paruppu, pumpkin sambar, vazhakkai thoran, beans curry, avial, kaalan, puli inji, thayir pachadhi, sweet pachadi, pappadam, rasam, moru, maanga curry and banana ended the spread. Food was excellent. The women, of course, were in charge of serving the food and cleaning after while the men sat back to chat with the beetle leaves and nuts and to see off people who were leaving after attending the occasion. Sivu was in charge of handing over the bhakshanam bags and thamboolam as she was the youngest daughter of the house. Achchu could see that she was starting to get tired but she was not even glancing at him for him to signal her to relax. By the time the commotion settled and the women ate, it was almost 4Pm. They were all beyond hungry and too tired to relish anything.

Finally, when her job was done, Sivu quickly went upstairs to change out of her madisaar into a regular saree. Achchu was already packing their bags. Radhu came up just then with two bags in hand. "chithi, indha" she said. Sivu looked up and asked, "ennadhu?" Radhu said, "Idhu bakshanam Ungalukku eduthundu pordhukku" then she stretched out the other bag and said, "idhu nee nethakki enakku thandha necklace um valai yum." Sivu and Achchu looked at each other for a second. Then Sivu stood up and went to her, "Indha necklace um valaiyum naan Chumma unakku potukka tharalai. Idhu unakku thaan. Nee vachuko". Radhu shook her head vehemently and said, "Ayayo vendaam Chithi. Nee ennakku pavadai, dhavani thandhadhe porum. Onnu theriyuma enna kozhandhai lerndhu aarume Unna maadiri aasai yoda enkitta pesinadhu kooda illai." She teared up and said, "Indha oru maasam un kooda irundhadhu naan marakave maaten chithi. Naan idhu varaikkum yaarukkume letter ezhudhuinadhu illai aana ippo nee irukkiye. Naan unakkum chithappa ku letter ezhudaren. Enakku adhu thaan romba periya parishu. Idhu venda chithi. Nee ulla locker la vachudu." Sivu choked but smiled and said, "Chithi cholardha kelu di adhiga prasangi. Naamathula ellam oru ponnu vayasukku vandha chithi oda vagaiya pattu dress aparam necklace, valai ellam poduva. Nee vayasukku vandhadhu kooda engalukku theriyadhu dee. Ithara varshathula unna ippo thaan paarkaren adhu naala ennoda cheer aa idha vachukko. Chachu akka kitta naan pesikkaren. Appa Amma keezha engalukku wait paneendu irukka. Neram aagardhu. Nee naana padi. Dr. Radhika va naan unna paarkanam seri ya?" Sivu hugged Radhu and both of them she'd a few few tears.

Then they all went down to bid everyone goodbye. Sivu was very sad to leave but was also taking back some beautiful memories. They were driving to CBE to spend a couple of days there before heading back to Calcutta.

Brinda Subramanian