Part 12

Sivu was very excited about their plan for the day. She woke up way before dawn. She jumped out of bed and looked for him. He was not in the bedroom. She tied up her hair in a bun and stepped out. She found him fast asleep on the couch. A book was lying on the floor and she could hear his tiny snores. She looked confused, "ivar nethu mattum thaan inge thoonginaar aa illai denamum ippidiya nu theriliye? Namba vera seekirama thoongi late aa ezhundhukarom. Ayo paavam. Seri idha pathi aparama pesuvom." She hurried into the kitchen.

Achchu woke up to a beautiful sight. She was trying to wake him up. Her wet long hair falling forward from the lift side of her shoulder. Her saree pallu was tucked into her hip. Her round red bindi on her forhead between her black naturally arrow shaped eyebrows. Her large does eyes looked even more beautiful because of the jet black kajal that extended like the tail of a fish, outside her eyes. He looked at her lovingly with a smile until he listened to what she was says, "ayo ezhundurungo, neram aayachu. Kelamba vendaama? Neenga sirichadhu porum. Poi kulichuttu vaango." His smile vanished and he sat up, "yen maa kaalangarthala thittarey?" She smiled immediately and said, "naan thittale. Seekirama vaango. Naan seekirama ezhundhu namakku molagapodi thadavina idli, pudiyunchadam, thayirunchandam. Manga curry, vadam ellam pack panni koodai la pottundaachu." He looked confused, "Edhukku?" She sighed, "Ayyo naanga malampuzha ku pogum podhu ippidi thaan ellam kateendu porom. Aparam ellarum ukkandhu saapiduvom." He burst out laughing loudly. She frowned, "Ippo enna sirippu vendi irukku? Pasikkum podhu ennoda arumai theriyum Ungalukku...hmm." He continued laughing and said, "Seri maa sorry, naan poi kelambaren" but he just couldn't stop laughing. 

The sun was just rising when they were about to step out. Achchu stopped to look at her and she asked, "enna?" He looked at her from head to toe and said, "enna ma idhu?" She looked at him confused and said, "Puriyala, ennachu?" He smiled and said, "nee heroine madiri salwar pottundu varuven nu paatha ippidi.... " she blushed but quickly ran in to change. He raised his eye brows when she came back and nodded.

Mahinder Singh was waiting with his car outside. "Namaste saab, aayiye memsaab" and he opened the door. Achchu introduced Singh to Sivu saying, "Ivar thaan enga office driver. Sani nayar la private aa vandi otaraar. Adhu thaan avara ketten." Sivu smiled and said, "Namaste bhaiya". Achchu sat on the passenger side and let Sivu take the back seat. Sivu and her food basket 😀. Achchu told Singh, "Pehle hum Dhakshineshwar Phir Belur Mat chaliye." Hence their tour started. Singh played the golden collection of Hindi songs from the 60's and Sivu knew the first 4 lines of almost all the songs. After about 5-6 songs, Achchu became curious. He turned to look at her and asked, "Adhu eppidi ella paatiliyum 4 line mattum paadarey?" She giggled and reply, "adhu enna na, naan college padikkumpodhu naanga antakshiri velayaduvom. Oru paatoda kadasi ezhutha vachu adutha paatu paadanum. Aana paadara paatoda 4 line correct aa tberinjirukkanum. Adhunaala thaan 4 line kathuvachundu irukken" she claimed proudly.

Dakshineshwar kali temple was the most beautiful old temple she had ever seen. It was the fierce kali with red large eyes and red tongue. It was the image of kali after having killed Mahishasur, the demon. This temple was believed to be extremely powerful. Marigold and lotus garland were available, which the bought to adorn the goddess. They continued their journey after getting the blessings of Maa Kali. The next stop was Belurmath. Vivekanand built this for Ramakrishna parahamsa and Sarada Devi. Sivu thoroughly enjoyed this and also recalled that Achchu did read books by Swami Vivekananda. They decided to take a break and, honestly, Achchu was happy that she had packed the idlis because they couldn't find anything except a small tea shop on the way. She gave him the, "I told you so" look. She made sure she had idlis for Singh too, who thoroughly enjoyed it.

Next they moved on the Victoria memorial. This was built in memory of Queen Victoria in 1924. It was gorgeous and Sivu pretended she was the queen and walked holding her dupatta in style. He clicked pics of Queen Sivakaami. She insisted that he address her as maharani as long as they were there and he was just too happy to do so. Next was Eden Garden. Achchu said, "Maa idhu thaan maa Eden Gardens..." before he could continue, she squealed, "inge thaane cricket match nadakkum? Ayo Naanum Appavum ingathu periya radio la cricket commentary keppom. Appa ku romba pidikkum. Naan kooda orutharkku fan. Newspaper la avaroda photo varum podhu naan adha cut panni vachuppen." Achchu immediately felt a little possessive and asked, "Yaaru adhu?" and she promptly replied, "Tiger Pataudi. Nawab of Pataudi. Paarungolen naan Queen Sivakaami avar Nawab of Pataudi. Nalla match illiya?"  He smirked and said, "Match ellam seri aana rendu varsham minaala thaan avar Sharmila Tagore nu oru Hindi actress a kalyanam paneendaarey, unakku theriyadha". She frowned at him for brining it up but she put the dupatta on her head and started to sing, "Ishaaron ishaaron mein dil dene waale" and twirled around him. He was blushing at what she was doing but he quickly grabbed his camera and started clicking her pictures.

After a lunch break, they visited few more places. The sun was starting to set and so was Sivu. Achchu realized that she was starting to get tired and might need some fuel. He knew exactly what would excite her. He asked her, "Maa nee pastries saaptirukkiya?" She answered in a tired voice, "hmm.mm. Illai. Adhula muttai irukkum nu Appa vaangi thara maata." He smiled and asked, "Eggless cake saapadlaama?" That instantly brought a smile to her face.

Flury's was the most famous and oldest bakery shop which came into existence during British India. Sivu's face lit up at the site of this place. It was filled with the young crowd. Live music was going on and youngsters in miniskirts, frocks and bell bottoms were seen hanging out with boys. Achchu found a table for them and placed the order. Sivu was looking at the crowd when the waiter arrived with a butterscotch eggless cake, a cucumber sandwich and a mango juice. She noticed people using knives and fork to eat their food in style. Sivu sulked and looked at him. He said, "Ennama aachu?" She whispered, "Enakku indha kathi, kabada vachu ellam saapda theriyadhe". He burst into a laughter hearing what she said but replied saying, "Parava illai namma kaiyalaye saapadlam." That was the most delicious pastry and the sandwich was yummy too. After sometime, the music got a bit too loud for her liking plus it was dark so they decided to leave.

He decided to sit on the back seat with her. A few minutes after the car started to move, he felt her head on his shoulder. She had fallen asleep. He did not disturb her until they reached home. The tapped her cheek and said, "Maa namma aathukku vandhaachu." She woke up and dragged herself up. As soon as they entered the house he said, " nee poi dress maatheendu poi thoongu. Romba tired aa iruppe" and he went to the bathroom. When he returned he found her fast asleep on the sofa. He tried to wake her up to make her sleep on the bed but, in her sleep she responded, "inniki Yaavudhu Neenga nimmadiya kattil la thoongungo. Naan ingeye irukken."

Brinda Subramanian