Chapter 6

I go about my week at school as I usually would, except I eat lunch with Butters instead of my usual friend group. I can't seem to make much progress with him at school, so this weekend we planned a picnic. That should be a lot of one on one time with him. I just need to figure out what I'm gonna say. 

On Sunday I get to the park before Butters, and I set up a blanket. Butters is supposed to bring the food. I see him walking over to me with a picnic basket. "Hey, Butters! Come sit."

Butters sits down and starts unpacking his box. "I made sandwiches. I don't know if they're very good..."

"I'm sure they are fine. You seem like you are a good cook."

He shyly hands me a sandwich. I take a bite, it's really bland, but it doesn't suck. "It's good! It's a good sandwich!"

Butters exhales and grabs his sandwich, "I'm glad..."

"Hey, do you always wait for other people to eat before you do? I've noticed you do that a lot."

"Oh, I guess I do. I just want to make sure the food I'm giving people is good. I don't want people to dislike me because of my food..."

"Haha, you have a lot of anxiety, don't you?"

"I dunno, I've never been diagnosed with anything. But probably..."

"I have some too."

"Really?"

I nod, "I get anxious about socializing. Before I go to social events I drink to seem more likable. It's hard for me to put in the amount of effort it takes to socialize at big parties and stuff like that."

"You drink?"

"I do, does that bother you?"

He shakes his head, "No, I actually. I want to try drinking sometime. I always play by the rules and I feel like it holds me back. So I want to see what it's like to be drunk."

"I can help you with that."

"Are you sure?"

I nod, "I guess that's what we should do next weekend."

"We are hanging out every weekend..."

"Would you like to take a break?"

"No! I mean, I don't mind it, It's nice."

I can read this boy like a book. He really can't hide anything, he's cute. 

My face gets hot when I realize what I was thinking. Cute? Really Kenny? Get it together, this isn't real. He is just a puppy. Everyone thinks puppies are cute. I need to stay focused.

"Is everything okay, Kenny?"

"Oh, yeah. just got lost in thought for a second there."

We talk for a while, just about random things, but it's nice.

"Kenny, Is your real name actually Kenny?"

"It's what everyone calls me. My real name is Kenneth. I never liked that name too much."

"Oh, well I think it's a nice nickname."

"What about you? I don't think I know your real name."

"Everyone just started calling me Butters randomly, I don't know where it started. My real name is Leopold."

"How about I call you Leo then?"

"Okay! I like that! Can I call you... Ken?"

I smile, "Of course." I don't like the name Ken that much, but this won't last long so it didn't matter.