Chapter 37

"Let me help you..." I reach to his face and gently feel the bridge of his nose, "It's not broken, it'll probably bruise though."

He looks me in my eyes, then he starts to cry, "Shit. Sorry, did that hurt?"

He holds my hand to his cheek and shakes his head. "No, I'm actually happy... No one has ever taken care of me the way you do."

He pulls my hand in front of his face so that he can examine it. "Your knuckles are scabbed. I'm glad you defended me, but try not to break your hand open next time..."

"Sorry, I was just so mad... I wanted to pummel him into the ground for hurting you. Not to mention he scared the shit out of Karen too. My parents really fucking suck..."

He brings my head to his shoulder and hugs me, slowly petting my hair, "I'm sorry you've had to deal with that all this time, Kenny. I'm here now, so if you ever need anything, let me know. Okay?"

"Okay." I wish time could stop right now. I don't want to deal with anything, I just want to stay here, with Leo.

-

I go downstairs, where Karen is sitting on the couch. She's hugging her legs close to her chest, she was probably really scared. I sit next to her.

"Karen? Are you doing okay?"

She nods, "I think so... I wish they wouldn't fight so often... They were really mad when you didn't come home last night, they drank until sunrise. Where were you?"

"Oh, sorry... I was here... The ice cream shop got robbed, me and Leo got held hostage for a bit, I ended up staying here for the night so that me and Leo could recover together. Next time I stay somewhere I'll text them... Sorry, this was my fault."

She looks up and shakes her head, "It's not your fault. It's theirs for being so crazy. You're an adult now, they can't accept that."

"I guess so. You should stay here tonight, Leo will be fine with it, I'll stay too. Mom and Dad need time to calm down."

She perks her head up, "Wait, ROBBED? Did you get held HOSTAGE? WHAT!?"

"Long story, everything is okay now though, Leo and I got out unharmed."

"Who is this kid? You two seem pretty close. I saw him when he came over that one time a couple of months ago. Is he your best friend? He's nice..."

I blush. It takes me a second to form my next words, this will be the first time I tell someone close to me... "He's uh... My boyfriend..."

"Boyfriend? Like, romantic boyfriend?" 

"Yeah..."

"I thought you were straight..."

I cover half my face with my hand, "I did too, but he makes me feel things I've never felt before, I think I'm seriously in love with him..." I look at Karen. I'm scared. Scared that she won't like me as much anymore after finding out I have a boyfriend.

"Well, congrats! I knew you would find the right person someday, he seems perfect for you, I saw him help calm you down when we left the house. No one can cool you off that fast."

"Yeah, he really does level out my emotions... I love him so much..."

"Cheesy."

"I know."

She rests her head on my shoulder and closes her eyes, "Kenny, I want to sleep for a bit."

"Okay, rest up. Love you, Karen."

"Love you."