Chapter 36

"Karen? Are you there?" I look at my blank phone screen, "Fuck."

I turn back to Leo, his expression changes when he sees how worried I look, "Kenny? What's wrong?"

"It's Karen, Something is wrong, I need to get home and make sure everything is okay. I'll see you tomor-"

"I'm coming with."

"What?"

"Let's go."

He grabs my hand and starts pulling me in the direction of my house. I feel so much more secure when he is with me.

I grip his hand tighter and start running, he does his best to stay close behind.

We get to my house and I throw open the door. Karen's phone is broken on the floor and she is standing between our parents, trying to break up a fistfight.

I run over and start pulling my dad backward, Leo pulls my mom back. We both stand between them. "Mom, Dad, stop. You're drunk, go sit down and cool your heads."

I lower my guard when I see them both lowering their arms. I take a deep breath and look at Karen, she looks unharmed at least. I turn to her to ask her if she is okay, but before I do, I'm knocked to the floor by my dad, who has just lunged toward my mom.

"DRUNK BITCH!" They resume their fight. I push myself back up just in time to see Leo fall to the ground, blood spraying from his nose.

I fall back to the floor in my rush to get to Leo. I crawl to him and hold up his head. He is crying, blood covers his lips and teeth. "Leo?! What-"

I turn back to my parents and yell louder than I ever have before, "STOP! CALM THE FUCK DOWN OR I'LL KNOCK YOU BOTH OUT!"

They both turn to me, they actually look scared. I must look as pissed off as I feel. "Good, now speak. Who punched him?"

They look at each other, and my dad responds, "I must've hit him with my elbow, Kenny it wasn't on purpose so just calm down."

"Oh, I'll calm down. After I do this." I walk over to him and hit him as hard as I can, the skin on my knuckle splits open from the impact.

My dad falls to the floor, I think I broke his nose, but he deserved it.

"Jesus, Kenny!" my mom looks scared.

I grab my sister and Leo and drag them outside, grabbing a cloth for Leo's nose on my way out.

I hold Leo with one hand and Karen with the other, I hope they can't tell that I'm shaking.

"Kenny? Kenny wait." Leo pulls me to a stop.

"Kenny, where are we going? Are you okay?" Karen looks worried

"I should be asking you guys that."

They look at each other and then back at me, Leo speaks, "We are fine, do you want to go to my house? My parents are still out of town, we can stay there until things settle down."

-

We all go into Leo's house. I make sure Karen is settled and then I go to the bathroom where Leo is washing the blood from his face.

"Leo? Are you okay? Does it hurt?"

"I'm okay, it didn't start hurting until I washed it, I must've been in shock or something..."